Thread: OSNews: Gentoo needs to get with the program

OSNews: Gentoo needs to get with the program

There's an interesting article over at OSNews about Gentoo Linux and it's universally acknowledged biggest asset - the Portage package management system. As most people around here know, Gentoo is my distribution of choice, and I find the author's assertion that Gentoo should dumb itself down to appeal to the broadest possible audience unconvincing: He says:
    Gentoo developers, this is not about giving up your beliefs, it is about providing the best for your users. Sometimes "best" is not what would actually be best, but what would be hassle-free for the user. Microsoft built an empire with this way of thinking.
    I'm sorry, but I have a serious problem with that. Microsoft built an empire of shitware with that thinking, and everybody knows it. Would you tell a doctor he or she should only prescribe over-the-counter medication? Would you tell a professional plumber he had to use Drano? The fact is, there are different tools for different people and jobs. Gentoo is the Linux professional's tool, and it is no more intended for the Windows user than prescriptopn medicines are meant for Joe Sixpack.

We already have Red Hat, Mandrake, and SuSE to appeal to the Microsoft crowd, so why would we want to add another Windows clone to the mix?

The whole article is here.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

I have a bit of problems with it all also. Fact is M$ has no idea how to fix it's security problems and fact is lots of people exploit their flaws to the max like Code Red and what ever emil virus thats sent and all this info spawns anti viri company's in short people work for free out here exploit the hell out of stuff make nothing and all the info is free to all these people. Me I don't give away what I know for nothing untill hackers or crackers understand that and how to market it correctly everyone will take advantage and exploit you. Where is the true exploit? In M$ or Linux Unix?? Exploit is they get their info free cause you spend countless hours breaking their stuff for nothing. Cost $$$$ to live in the world anywhere!
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

There is a very interesting discussion of this article between the author and several Gentoo users (including me) over at pclinuxonline.com.

http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...ticle&sid=3249
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!