Thread: UNIX common commands

Post UNIX common commands

Hi, this is my first "tutorial" ever, this is a reference guide to common Unix Commands and it's intended to help newbies with Unix.

If you have any question or sugestion please feel free to post here.

I used Unix Complete as reference and man.

I hope this helps,
    Bug_
    -Mamma... Mamma... I want to let school !!! - kid
    -Why my dear? - Mom
    -Because i heard in television that some guy was killed because he knew to much!!!-Kid

Pretty good reference, but you know what would make it outstanding for newbies? Cross-reference the Actions with the Commands. Most newbies when they're starting out don't know the name of the command they need, just the outcome they want to produce. For example:

Standard:
    cmp -- compare 2 files
    Cross-referenced:
    Comparing files -- cmp, diff, dircmp (directories only)

Oh, and one more thing. I've only seen the haltsys command used with SCO Unix. The shutdown command might be a bit more widespread. Great 1st tutorial, though!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

you're right, the problem is that it was made a bit in a hurry because i'm in time of school exams and have to study, but i'll make a update soon as i can. 8)

Thanks,
    Bug_
    -Mamma... Mamma... I want to let school !!! - kid
    -Why my dear? - Mom
    -Because i heard in television that some guy was killed because he knew to much!!!-Kid

Simple but nice, good job

[glowpurple]\"It\'s a mistake to assume your enemies are ignorant, and you are clever.\" [/glowpurple]