CCNA certification

Thread: CCNA certification

CCNA certification

I am 17 and am taking a ccna course, currently being on semester 3
    What i am wondering about is that will a CCNA cert be THAT helpful to me in the job market say when I graduate highschool? I do plan on taking it further towards possibaly a ccnp or such, but I am just currious of the actual value of this certification.
    Share on Google+

Ninja Code Monkey
    Without having actual experience on the job it's only value is it MIGHT help you get your foot in the door to a monkey boy position. There are no guarantees however.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X
    Share on Google+

Another thing to consider is the field you are trying to get into. CCNA and CCNP are geared more towards networking, I believe. Are you wondering what it means in the Security world? Check out a thread I started about a week ago:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=234306

Maybe while you are still in school, you can do some volunteer work with the schools IT department. Try checking into some work with them. It would definitely help to be able to put in on your resume. Good luck.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile
    Share on Google+

If you can successfully complete the ccna course and become certified It will definately put you ahead of most other people your age. Not only will you have demonstrated the aptitude to learn technical subjects, but you will actually have a clue what is going on when you DO get your first job. I think at this point in your career though the main benefit from becoming ccna certified is that it will look good on your resume.
    Share on Google+

I'm not trying to demean anyone by this, but what CCNA course in the world would take 3 semesters, let alone a month. Even if it is one day a week. There isn't that much information covered in the CCNA that would take that long. When I took my CCNA, I studied one book for 2 days and passed. What all are they teaching in that class???
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield
    Share on Google+

Troy, I think that colleges draw all IT courses out over a lengthy time. I remember hearing someone say that they took a semester course on A+. As far as the CCNA goes, I took the latest ICND course with an IT training company, and it was 5 days long, but they really did jam alot of material into that period of time. I think the general consensus from CISCO is that you are an extrordinary individual if you can remember 60% of what the 5-day course covers. This is probably skewed to intimidate us and pump the Cert up in the industry, but I can definitely confirm that they pack it in like sardines in a can...

Oh, and something else I heard was that the pass rate is higher with the folks that take the college courses because they get much more hands on and time is taken to make sure that the students understand the material...I haven't taken the exam yet, but I plan to soon...

Peace.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile
    Share on Google+

after you graduate hs get a job with a consulting firm or a nettemps type of thing, while you continue your studys. when you pass all the exams you want you'll also have the on the job experiance you need. diversified at that
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”
    Share on Google+

well I got my CCNA last year of HS and got A+ and MCSE. I got a nice job my last year of highschool, and continue in it today ot move up and get more certs. althought it does take a while without experiance to get people to look past not having a degree
    Share on Google+

I think its good getting a CCNA if you're taking a course in school for that. You won't have the experience from working with the equipment in real life environment but the simulation and the environments that they setup in schol will help. The cert will also help you have a leg up on the competition when applying for jobs when you fin school. But if you are gonna look for networking jobs when you get out, you might be a little disappoitned cos they tend to prefer hiring those with experience.

But still, dont let that discourage you cos it will still help if you are applyig for related jobs.
    Share on Google+