Thread: NTFS Boot disk

NTFS Boot disk

Does anyone know where I can get a working boot disk that will recignise NTFS. I downloaded one that was supposed to but it wont recignise my drive. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ( and yes i tired the obvious google.com and bootdisk.com and found nothing that can help)
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

The Iceman Cometh
    There's a program available called "NTFS4DOS" or something like that which will allow you to view NTFS partitions via a regular Windows 98 boot disk. What are you trying to do? If you have 2000 or XP and need to copy a document or something, you can access the documents, etc. from the recovery console if you have your security settings right.

AJ

ntfsdos.sys or whatever it's called will provide read-only access from a dos boot floppy.

The stable ntfs driver for Linux allows full read-access and works on just about any NTFS system.

Writing to the disc is more difficult - neither the free DOS nor Linux drivers allow you to do this. Nevertheless there are 3rd party dos programs which do allow writing.

Clearly being able to write to the disc of a broken NTFS machine might allow you to fix it (for instance delete the .sys file for a driver which bluescreens on bootup), however I have found that just being able to read it is a godsend because it means u can recover files of the disc of a dead NT box

Check out www.sysinternals.com. They have a bunch of goodies including the prog Avdven was talking about. Worst case scenerio go to your local computer parts shopping place - not CompUSA or a similar place - but a real shop and they may make one for you.

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Thanks for all the replys. I wasnt at the cpu for a while. I will have to check those out. The reason I want it is because I have Mean Streets ( the best old game ever, I think it was the first one to include sound it a game and it came out of the PC speaker and only at one spot on the game for 2 seconds.) Anyways its a sweet game and I have a patch ( original version would not work on a 486 or higher i belive) So I have the patch and it makes it work on my P3 but since I converted to NTFS and the game cannot be run from windows or it goes way too slow i cannot play. So i just need a way to get to the Mean Streets DIR from DOS.

Oh im using XP
    Violence breeds violence
    we need a world court
    not a republican with his hands covered in oil and military hardware lecturing us on world security!

I think you would be better off installing DOS6.22 on an old pc, you could probably pick one up for free...

Krang
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

AO French Antique News Whore
    I think you would be better off installing DOS6.22 on an old pc, you could probably pick one up for free...
    I suggest that for Joke of the Year!

This was a joke right?
    -Simon \"SDK\"