Need Help

Thread: Need Help

Need Help

When I visit the Tutorials forum, Internet Explorer slows to near halt and I can't scroll down the pages properly. I have no problem with other websites, just AntiOnline.com. I even upgraded IE from 5.5 to 6 and still have problems browsing the forums.

My computer is 200 MMX and 256MB memory and I use 56K Internet connection. Is it the problem with my CPU? I don't think it's the problem of the memory.

I have been considering upgrading my computer system but I'm not sure what brand and specifications to get. I've read around that AMD Athlon XP 1800 is best value for performance vs. price but then I've also read that it's more delicate and overheats easily.

Then there's the mainboard, AMD and Intel are different sockets. I would prefer to use Intel CPU but then which mainboard is best? I've only known about ASUS (my current mainboard is ASUS TX-97)

I'd like to hear suggestions and advice from those who'd care to post a reply:

• a) Which Intel CPU would you suggest? Pentium or Celeron? I heard Celeron is much more cheaper and uses exactly the same socket as Pentium 4.
    • b) What CPU speed would you suggest?
    • c) What mainboard brand would you suggest? If you know the model number please list it.

For those of you who'd suggest AMD, please answer the same questions but for AMD.

Anything extra you can mention to me would be great.
    eg:
    • Should I wait longer for better technology? Will it matter? (i.e. Will I see any real difference or at a certain CPU speed is more than enough such as 1.5GHz)
    • My problem isn't the CPU? i.e. Why I have problems browsing the forums, why IE6 slows down so much it's difficult to scroll down the page.

P.S. My mainboard only supports max. 256MB memory and max. 233 MMX

When getting a new chip/board, (especially with intel), remember to go a couple of steps below the top chip.

Intel slap a 100% increase in price on the top CPU to get a 10% increase in performance - and in a couple of months it'll be superceded anyway.

Also please use a more informative subject in future (for instance Need Help: CPU upgrade decision or something)

Well , the reason which you can not browse AO properly , refer to This problem

I don't think if it is related to IE, ( if you can browse other websites properly )

And about CPUs I would like to say briefly ( cause I should go now ) that I have seen a thread like that, you could do a search.But as briefly I can say that AMDs are good for graphical applications and internet and Intels are the best for servers and engineering programs.

BTW, It would be better if you post the questions in 2 different threads.

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

For me I stay away from intel... I have an AMD 2200+ with 1 gig of DDR and I LOVE it!!! I ahevn't had anyproblems since I up gunned to the 2200+ and I would highly recomend AMD to anyone wanting to upgrade... You get a lot of bang for your buck

4MidgetHitmen
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

er0k

Should I wait longer for better technology? Will it matter? (i.e. Will I see any real difference or at a certain CPU speed is more than enough such as 1.5GHz)

My problem isn't the CPU? i.e. Why I have problems browsing the forums, why IE6 slows down so much it's difficult to scroll down the page.

id wait for new technology if it were me, meaning wait a few more months until the prices go down on the faster cpu's.. ie slower p4's or XP's that are considered somewhat fast for now. i dont think its internet explorers problem, but you could always download mozilla from www.mozilla.org and have fun with it ;P. good luck.