Thread: trace route

trace route

Hi. I had someone sub7'ing me like a total fag. errm i jus want to know how to trace route an IP in DOS? Any help please?
    :-p

The traceroute command in dos is :
    tracert targetip or hostname

Usage: tracert [-d] [-h maximum_hops] [-j host-list] [-w timeout] target_name

Options:
    -d Do not resolve addresses to hostnames.
    -h maximum_hops Maximum number of hops to search for target.
    -j host-list Loose source route along host-list.
    -w timeout Wait timeout milliseconds for each reply.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

what does a tracert actually do?

As I under stand it, it sends a packet out with the TTL bit set to 1, when the packet hits the first router, the TTL then expires and the response back shows you the first network node in the path and the time it took that packet to reach the node. You then send out a new packet with the TTL bit set to 2, and repeat these steps until your final target is reached. Effectively, this should map out a path from you to your targeted IP or Hostname.

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

oo so when you get the path you can easily get into the victims computer?

Traceroute is not likely to aid you in attacking a computer. It will allow you to know if the IP is active or not. It's kind of like using usps.com to verify the existance of an address. You know the address is there and likely to be recieving mail, but what you do with it is your business...

MCSkibadee > If you would like to trace the script kiddie, better download the Sap Spade and do a "Whois" command in that kiddie's IP. Tracerouting is mostly used for network trubleshouting not tracing IP's.

And if you want to know such a terms like : traceroute, whois, dns, and other computer & network related terms, check www.whatis.com

traceroute

whois

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

All I do with script kiddies that attack me is trace the IP, find which ISP they are using, and if they ever try to attack again, I simply report them to their ISP. (Including all the logs, trace records, etc) I usually use NeoTrace or the online tracer at http://www.samspade.org to do this. Unfortunatly, (pls excuse the spelling) most ISP's really don't care. (Except my ISP which is very strict). Good luck on getting that twerp!

ooops. Sorry, I forgot that u r using DOS. I need to get more sleep...
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

another kool tool is visualroute it give you visual information as well as data about all the hopes that the packets do .
    Try it it's quite good and try it on this site and seti at home web site guess which one is not in the us.....

sorry for the late posting
    assembly.... digital dna ?