Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SickD Portal Project | Beta testers wanted

Lightbulb SickD Portal Project | Beta testers wanted

Hello,

Some of you might have heard of the "Portal Project" by Valhallen. I haven't heard any news about it quite a while. The original portal project was an idea to create a site about webmasters and their sites. But now the idea seems have died.

As some of you know, I have a site. The original site was about webgraphics and webdesign. Mostly in plain html and some flash. After a while I took the site down to do some major mods. But i'm almost finished with the major remodifications that its been going trough. I want the site to also be something like "the portal project". The site has a forum, links section, exstensive user profile etc. For the base of the site I used phpBB 2.0. I heavily modded the security enviremont (or however you spell it). I also added many new features in addition to the original phpBB engine. Now its a completely closed site. The only way to access any page on the site is using your password from your profile. Atleast, that is what I hope to have achieved. This is my first major php Project so I hope that everything went well. I tested the adjustments on my pc through Apache, but as most of you know, real testing has to be online by the users.

So, when the site goes online, (i'm currently STILL waiting for my cobalt to come in. grrrr) i'd like to ask you to exstensivelly test the system. To find ways around it. To look for bugs. To try to "create" bugs by using the site in ways that its not designed for. And finally, to report your findings to me.

The final purpose of all this is to have a community for webdesigners to show off their site, to ask advice to eachother, to share resources/experiences. Kinda similar to the original Portal Project by Valhallen.

If any of you like to help me out on this, reply to this post with any comments, tips, additions etc. If you want to help me out on the "beta testing" i'll sent you a weekly email with any improvements, bug reports, version updates etc. PM me if you want to beta test the site. I'll get you a user account to login to the site when its online.

And for anyone who just wants to join this new community, just wait up. When the site is finished for major use, it will be posted here.

Thanx ppl,
    I hope to realize this new look at the original Portal Project by Valhallen

Sick Dwarf
    Bleh.

Banned
    Illl help you out Sick.... As long as I get a fancy-sounding title and a funky-lloking icon next to my name on the site

How about Assistant Technitian in Charge of Penetration Testing of the Web Environment

GreekGoddess
    I'd definitely be interested in helping out. Last time I checked your site, it was looking great, and I was fully behind Valhallen in his efforts to build the portal project.

Well I was myself wondering what happened to the portal project, so I'd be happy to help ya out with your beta testing.
    what is love but contempt for hate?

i would be too.

i am a webmaster of:
    thepillbox.net
    and
    geeksarecool.com

i own and pay for both as well.. therefore being.. MINE! =)
    my pages: (great resources for everyone)
    geeksarecool.com resource for computers, hacking, virii, wutnot.
    thepillbox.net archive of logs and resource for laughter.
    --enjoy these pages, as they grow.

Its great to have so many responses!

Well, for the last month, i'm without internet. I've managed quite well using a friends connection. But now the time is finally there. My future ISP told me (after a long wait) that I can start webbing BEFORE the 23rd of August. Its still a long wait, but its better then nothing.

Now for the site. I still haven't heard any response from Sun about my Cobalt Server. They tell me that my "request" is being looked at etc, etc, etc. So still no clear aswer for that.

I still have 10mb webspace somewhere but it won't be enough for the entire site. The total filesize no comes to a total of 12mb. So, got to leave out some images untill my server comes in.

I did all testing on my Apache Localhost under Win XP. Because I don't have constant access to the internet and most browser setup files require online access, all testing has been done in Internet Explorer. But I think it will be compatible with Netscape aswell cause of the original phpBB enviremont.

When the site is finnally through the beta fase, all regular Beta Testers will become Moderators and official members of the "staff". I also added an extra rank called "Senior Moderator". This rank enables limited database access for user administration, site poll management news management, global announcements etc. Still haven't figured out who that will be. Offcourse, it has to be someone who really puts efford in the site and someone who can be trusted. But we'll see .

ac1dsp3ctrum: I've already created the title "Beta Tester" with special rank images.

Well, I'll definatly keep you posted on any adjustments, progress etc. You guys will be the first to know. Damn, still have to tell my mom that the guy from my ISP called me up. I'll put every little change up here. And ppl, feel free to post any questions, suggestions, comments etc. And the job opening for beta tester still goes offcourse!

I'll cu around.

Sick Dw@rf
    Bleh.

Real cool. I think phpBB does work in netscape, I've never heard of compatibility issues. And if you're still looking for testers, I'd be interested.

Kwiep
    I really want to help, beta-test, or whatever... I had a great site to with forum and stuff and had a lot of experience with bugs. It's down now because my server is kind off fried (not because of bugs ). and omdat je uit nederland komt natuurlijk...toch een beetje nationalistisch..and because I want the same as ac1dsp3ctrum.
    Ow damn... should have pm you...mmm?
    Double Dutch

Well, I actually would prefer if you guys just post up here. Sorry for any misunderstandings. Subscribing would also be way cool to keep the subject going.
    Bleh.

Sick

just fill me in w/ the info. I would be willing to lend a hand...