No Skin off Gates
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No Skin off Gates

No Skin off Gates

No Skin off Gates

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,55151,00.html

Although he lost almost a fifth of his net worth in the past year, Microsoft founder Bill Gates remained the richest man in the United States, with a fortune of $43 billion, according to Forbes magazine.

The Forbes 400 list will be published in the Sept. 30 issue of the magazine.

Gates lost $11 billion last year, but still remained ahead of investor Warren Buffett -- one of the few on the list to see his fortunes increase in a year when an economic recession brought a sharp drop in stock prices.

Buffett holds the No. 2 spot, increasing his net worth from $33 billion to $36 billion.

Rounding out the top 10 are Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen with $21 billion at No. 3, the five heirs to the late Sam Walton's Wal-Mart fortune (each with $18.8 billion at No. 4), Oracle's Larry Ellison with $15.2 billion at No. 9 and Microsoft President Steve Ballmer with $11.9 billion at No. 10.

It took $550 million to make the list this year, $50 million less than in 2001,

i guess even the very rich must suffer in these times
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Darn, my heart goes out to Bill Gates. I can certainly understand his concern with M$ security now. Don't you think it would be a nice gesture for AO to take up a collection to help him out? He's got to be pinching pennies.

Hmmm, I don't know of anyone else that could loose 11 billion dollars in a year. My goodness, must have been all that money he was spending on 'security'. <<gag>>
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

3 of the top ten richest people are with microsoft. Anyone else seeing a distinctive trend here? Perhaps now that the news that microsoft doesn't make the most secure products, is getting out, sales are decreasing. Still take a hell of a long time before they are destitute.

And I can't even imagine making 11 billion nevermind losing 11 billion. My heart bleeds purple piss for them.

What the hell do you do with that much money?He's never gonna spend it,so he should give me a few million(pennies to him).Why just have it all sitting in a bank somewhere?
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I'll offer to take a couple of million

off his hands. Hell, I'd settle for 10 grand.

With many of these rich folks, I think that greed is the driving force. I mean, how in the world could you make that much money and keep working? You should want for nothing, need nothing - well, as far as materialistic things go - and just give someone else the chance to make some money. Spread some of it around for a good cause. It doesn't make sense to me. Maybe it's because I am not a businessman?
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I wonder does Bill even work? Or does he just sit back and wait for money to come rolling in? I'm sickened at these rich people, they should do more to help the less fortunate. He's got more money than he'll ever be able to spend. I agree with t2k2 about greed being the driving force...

Many companies are ripping people off. I've been buying pirated CDs for games, music, movies, software for a long time now. The production cost is so tiny compared to sales price which is a bit too high. I guess it's punishment for those companies now that they're losing money as more people are less willing to buy their products.

Sheesh, Bill!! It's a good thing I didn't buy the real Windows XP now that news about it having security problems everywhere and down to it's core. Seems that Windows just becomes increasingly user unfriendly with new versions. XP is like a nightmare compared to 98.

I used to snoop warez sites but never bothered downloading anything. The last time I went to one, my firewall stopped three hits in five minutes. O came from Greece and two from the same place in Spain. It ain't worth the hassle, in my very humble opinion.

Going back to Gates' net worth. A friend of mine told me that Gates' net worth is more than some countries entire national worth. Gates could buy an entire small country and still have money left over. Yikes...His home is worth $55 million. He gives and gives and gives money to various organizations and universities. How about cutting prices on the products Microsoft produces??
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"