Fact Or Rumor?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fact Or Rumor?

Question Fact Or Rumor?

I have heard that when connected to the net WinXP contacts a Microsoft server and exchanges data about your computer. During this time M$ can detect the number of copies of XP you may be running. And so, if you happen to be running the same version on more then one comp, or a warez version they can detect it. I know it is illegal to run one version on more then one comp unless you buy some kind of license. This is the only barrier keeping me from upgrading to any form of XP, so is it true or not?

I've heard the same,but not positive it's true.I know there's a way around it though for two reasons.1.It's Windowz made by M$
    2.It's all over the net 4 free.
    I'll try and find more info on the subject,and where the detection program is stored so you can get rid of it.Knowing M$,they probably just hid it and if you can find the file name,do a file search and delete it.That seems to be about the extent of Windowz security.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I heard the same thing, but I also heard that there is a way around it - some sort of way to configure your machine not to contact M$. I'll let you know what I find if gg doesn't first.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

The way to block xp from phoning home is to use a firewall like sygate and block all ports. Also there is a free program out there that allows you to turn off all of the "phone home" programs...It can be found here : http://www.xp-antispy.de/ NOTE this program is 100% free and legal to use. This site is in german, but click on the download tab and you can get the english version of the program. Enjoy. It has an easy to use interface that allows for all spyware in windows to be turned off without having to do a manual search....
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Old Fart
    I found (thru my firewall) where connections were being made to *my computers name*.mshome.net...ports 1615 and 5000....I'm not sure if this is the feature in question or not, but I went ahead and specified a rule to block the connections anyway.

The people I know in Redmond have downplayed this as a rumor, but then again, thats what one would expect from M$.....so I can't give a definite answer either.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

But since we're on the subject, I have a question about Windows processes trying to connect to the Internet. I'm really not a Windows person at all and hardly ever use it, so maybe you guys that use it all the time can shed some light on this.

When I install XP, I always unplug the cat 5 during installation until I get AtGuard installed and configured to be sure nothing gets in or out until I'm ready. IMMEDIATELY when I plug the cable in, I get an alert for Generic Host Process for Win32 trying to connect to an IP address on port 1900. I've always blocked it and never had any problems that I can see. What is that?
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Don't know if that's the correct port or not, since I'm not familiar with XP...but what port is used to detect whether or not updates are available for your computer? The "Automatic Update" feature that many people gripe about. Is that the same as GHP?
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

the port 1900 deal is the UPNP service trying to find UPNP devices on your network..

Don't remember too well, but wasn't there a major security flaw with the uPnP port?

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...highlight=upnp

Though isn't port 5000 the one for uPnP?

Heres another one regarding the flaw from our very own Euclid.

Also, running a search for uPnP will give a bunch of threads to view.

Cheers.
    I blame you cos my mind is not my own, so don't blame me if I trespass in your zone!

Thanks for the info guys.