Confusion

Thread: Confusion

Confusion

First and foremeost, I would like to say, this definetely is a "newbie" question: Is Windows XP considered NT. If so, do NT exploits and vulnerabilities apply to XP? I have XP and want to upgrade by getting the patch, so first I checked what it fixed. Another thing, I see these sites with an exploit followed by a long code that appears as a command string or a programming language (see http://www.emf.net/~ddonahue/NThacks/cpuattacks.htm) what the heck is that? Is that like VB or somethin? How would someone execute that gainst me?
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

I followed that link. What exactly is your question concerning it?
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Confusion

As far as XP is concerned, I don't know much about its security, but I can tell you this: some of the hacks displayed as being for NT do apparently work for Win2k. I am not sure about how it goes for XP, but my best guess - not that you were asking for a guess - is that some exploits for NT/2k could possibly apply for XP also. One good way to keep up with this is to go to Security Focus website here and sign up for the bugtraq mailing list for "NT." This will help you keep abreast of security of the M$ OSs. I hope this helps.

doktorf00bar said that he followed the link and doesnt know what I asked. I want to know what that long code type thingamajig is halfway thru the page.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

OK. This appears to be a Perl script designed to check a Win XP box for a possible denial-of-service vulnerability.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

Antionline Quitter..Srsly
    ok look XP is based on the NT kernel...meaningin the insides use the NT kernel but updated from the old NT kernel wiht new GUI and so on...dont worry about pathcing up all the old exploits on nt dont work...but the new exploits comign out will have the win nt/2k/xp label on it ...hope that helps
    \"\"A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.\" G.K. Chesterton, 19th-century English essayist and poet\"

Originally posted here by emrys
    ok look XP is based on the NT kernel...meaningin the insides use the NT kernel but updated from the old NT kernel wiht new GUI and so on...dont worry about pathcing up all the old exploits on nt dont work...but the new exploits comign out will have the win nt/2k/xp label on it ...hope that helps
    Just to make things a little clearer, let me break down NT for you.

NT 4.0 = What everyone calls "NT"
    NT 5.0 = Windows 2000
    NT 5.1 = Windows XP

All use the NT kernel, but each OS uses a different version of that kernel.