Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mandrake or Redhat???

I use mandrake ,but I have installed both ...but i thend to go with mandrake because some of the development stuff for perl is better (more packages).red Hat is great but Mandrake is better( at leased in my head).
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

I've used both Red Hat and Mandrake for quite a while and while I must admit that while Red Hat has less bugs, Mandrake is the distro for newbies just starting out in the Linux world. It's GUI and wizard applications are far more suited to newbies than Red Hat...

I use Mandrake 8.2 at home and Redhat on our production servers at work. If your just starting out Mandrake is the way to go. It's very user friendly and similar to the redhat structure. If you go with mandrake go for 8.2 and stay away from 8.1.

Ya detoxsmurf your right 8.2 is better. the only thing that I found to sucks was nmap was a option in 8.1 and not 8.2...but other then that I love 8.2 I think I will set up a computer at work with linux on it..

"score on for linux" LOL
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

My preference of Linux has always been Slackware... ever since good ol' kernel 1.2.13. I never had a reason for starting with slackware, well I liked the name. Here is my thoughts on why I would still pick it if I started off. It's kinda raw, it won't baby you as much as some of the other distro's. To me it's the most unix like of the linux distros. This may or may not be your goal. If you aim to be a hardcore unix god, I'd go with slackware. If you're going for "i don't want to use windows, but i'm not that hardcore yet" either redhat or mandrake will suit you just fine.

final thoughts: If you pick slackware, you'll have a tougher time, but you'll learn more.

Since I started this post I have decided to go with Mandrake 8.2.It just feels a little more natural to me at this time.After a while,I'd like to experiment with slackware though.I've heard nothing but good things about it.I think you're right sargex,but I'd like to get at least a little understanding of Linux before jumping into slackware,because like I said I have very little experience using it,,and I tend to get burnt on learning things if I get in way over my head.Thanx everybody for your opinions.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]