Thread: Burn Out - What to do?

Question Burn Out - What to do?

Hello everyone. This is my first post at AntiOnline so I figured I would ask about something that's been bothering me for quite some time. To understand the problem you need to know a little about me. I'm currently 17, 18 in 3 months, and graduated High School a little after turning 16. I've been doing things with computers since I was 8 or so. I also have social anxiety.

Now, you may be asking what this has to do with anything so here it is. After graduating High School old friends faded away and I found myself becoming more and more engrossed in my computer related work. Currently I would say I'm knowledgable in almost every computer field excluding data base work, and flash programming.

Anyway, this is all well and good except within the last 2 months or so I've felt burned out. I can't find anything new or exciting. Normally, I would just take a break and do other things until I found interest in computers again. Since I'm not in High School and I have no friends who aren't drug addicts, it's hard to get away. I've tried making new friends but it's difficult cause of my social phobia.

I find Television extreamly boring and I have no good books available. I have no job since I was layed off so I can't afford to find a new hobby for awhile. Basically what I'm asking is has anyone else felt this way before and what did you do to overcome it? I've tryed to become more advanced in a specific field but I'm so burned out now I can't even focus on it, it becomes boring quickly. I honestly don't believe I simply have no interest in computers, I just feel that I can't become motivated enough to specialize in a specific field since working with computers is all I do during my waking hours.

Another problem is that I'm sort of a begginer at everything and a master of nothing. In spite of this, I still can't figure out which field I want to go into. So, another question I have is has anyone had difficultly figuring out what you wanted to specialize in? And if so, how did you learn what was right for you?

I know I could simply keep learning and learning in each field until I know it's for me, but the amount I'd have to learn in every field before I realized which one I enjoyed most would take me more time than I have to spare. My Mom figures since I graduated early I need to get a job and start getting experience. If I'm not working full time by the time I'm 18 then I'm getting kicked out of the house. So, I need to figure out what I'm doing here within the next 3 months and then land an entry level job in that field.

Thanks for your time, any feedback is appreciated.

Well, from my own personal experiences, it took me 7 yrs after graduating highschool to figure out that I wanted to work with computers. My best advice is to find a good physical labor job. There is something about working hard doing something that gives you good exercise that helps clear your head. I would recommend something that requires learning new skills like welding (if you are artistically inclined this is a good way to hone your perfectionism -- you have to work hard to weld a beautiful bead . I found that i enjoyed working for a tree timming and removal company. something like asplundh....If you work hard, you will find your interest in computers renewed. Whatever you do, stay away from fast food joints unless you absolutely have to have a job Nothing cures boredome like good honest labor.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Thats a pretty harsh deadline your mom put on you. Hopefully its more creative motivation than a real thing. The Klutz is right, physical jobs relieve your mind of computer stuff, which I know all to well how it can get to you. You may also want to start checking into colleges if you plan on going, as its better to start early, rather than late. (yet another lesson I learned the hard way) Hope this little snipped of insight helps you.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

If you're burned out, you should take some time off to relax and get away from computers for a while. Surely you have some friends who don't do drugs but you haven't contacted them in a while. You could call them up, see what they're up to and arrange to go do some things in the free time. Anything that you all are interested in, maybe go to amusement park, see a movie, see some sites, etc

Have you any plans on studying at university? I think high school graduation limits what jobs you can do (unless you have the experience). You didn't mention what sort of things you do with the computers. If you're really not sure what you're interested in, you should take some time and think about what areas interests you. But don't forget to cross out the things you actually find boring. Maybe you can look in the newspaper for a job, maybe as an assistant or whatever you are skilled at. You shouldn't rush into things and I doubt your mom will kick you out just because you aren't working full time.

If you feel you have some problems with getting along with people, then I recommend you find some job where there's teamwork involved, more interaction with people. It can be anything, even fast food restaurant (just not the chicken suit), you will gain more confidence with people.

I guess you could say that computers/technology (tv, video games, etc) can be addictive and the more you are addicted the more disconnected you feel to society. Well, society is already disconnected...pass by so many people and strangers without greeting each other. It's a robotic society. OK. So good luck with everything.

I felt the same way when I was your age, around the time the Mammoth went extinct. It was a different world then, but people haven't changed that much. My "awakening" was a bit different. After graduation, I loafed for a year, then went into the Army.

What I'd suggest is basically what everybody else has posted. You're young. College will always be there. Maybe, if you're considering it, go part time for the first year. Do something totally unrelated to computers. There's a whole world outside the front door.

Thanks for the replys everyone, I appreciate it. Well, I have gone to college for awhile. I have to pay for my own classes though. Since I got layed off I can't afford classes anymore and I really don't want a student loan or anything cause I hate oweing money. To the person who suggested I call some old friends, I would except the whole social phobia thing. I'm afraid to call someone I havn't talked to in awhile. Unless you have/had social anxiety you wouldn't be able to understand. Anyway, my Mom is quite serious about kicking me out when I turn 18. Shes kicked me out a few times over very small things such as playing CDs too loud. I'm really kinda stuck here, I've been trying to find a job. Any job, including physical labor. The problem is I don't have my license or for that matter a car so I can't travel to a job, it has to be very local. That alone limits my options severly. Also, the area I live in has very few jobs available. I considered joining the Military for awhile but I don't think I could handle being yelled at or told what to do even if I know theres a better way to do it.

Cynic > not sure if youve checked into it, but if not check out the Financial Aid office of your college, and make sure to ask them about PELL grants, cause they are life savers, its how im getting my associates.

Also, your never stuck anywhere, there are always options. If you were to leave your house, and could prove that you were completely financially independent you would qualify for lots of financial aid. You should work on the license thing man, it makes a world of difference, trust me. Also check for work-study programs, as they offer learning and making money, and you can't beat that.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Cynic...you said it yourself....social phobia. People who have kept themselves cooped up for any length of time begin to fear social contact. I don't mean in school situations but in social situations. Many of them never realize it.

It's like living in a city, and then moving to a small town. When you lived in the city, it didn't bother you. After you've lived in the small town, you go back to the city and find yourself afraid to cross the street. Lousy parallel, but I hope you get the idea. You haven't had contact with friends, so you're afraid to call them. Do it. Get out and enjoy yourself. Soon enough, you'll be stuck in the rat race for most of the rest of your life.

As for your mother, I can't say. Maybe if you show her you're really trying, she'll relent. Her whole point might be that she sees something that you're beginning to realize.