Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iraq allows weapons inspectors to return

Iraq allows weapons inspectors to return

Iraq agrees to weapons inspections

UNITED NATIONS (CNN) -- In a letter handed over to the United Nations on Monday, Iraq said it would allow the return of U.N. weapons inspectors "without conditions" to "remove any doubts Iraq still possesses weapons of mass destruction."
    "This is not a matter of inspections. It is about disarmament of Iraq's weapons of mass destruction and the Iraqi regime's compliance with all other Security Council resolutions," McClellan said in a written statement. "It is time for the Security Council to act."
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/meast/...ter/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- President Bush will use a U.N. speech Thursday to demand that Iraq admit weapons inspectors and to urge world leaders to insist on Saddam Hussein's compliance, U.S. officials said.
    http://www.westernherald.com/vnews/d.../3d8041f795b53

Well, inspectors are apparently going to be let back in - unconditionally. But that isn't good enough for the administration; well, what can Saddam do to ensure that Bush doesn't push forward with war, unilaterally or otherwise? Is there anything he can do to avoid war?

I feel Bush will go on like this war threat until saddam quits or get killed...

I feel sympathy for those millions of poor hungry iraqi people who doesn't have power to speak against their leader..
    hiss

As long as Iraq doesn't try and pull the same type of Crap they did when the inspectors were there a few years ago I think they will avoid a war... If they start harassing the inspectors again or not allowing them unconditional access even one time I think they (the Iraqis') are going to get a lot more than a few Tomahawks...

4MidgetHitmen
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

I must say that I am kinda surprised that he said that he is going to let the inspectors back unconditionally. Of course, that doesn't mean that he will not be hiding the weapons anyway. But who knows, maybe he will try to avoid war at all costs this time. It would be a shock, but a welcome one. Who am I, but I don't want us to go back to war with him.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I just read the text of the leter the Iraqi government sent to the UN... You can find it here:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,63256,00.html

It sounds good until the last paragraph... That one amkes it sound like they are going to do the same 5hit they did a few years ago... When they booted the inspectors out last time they sited the same reasons as in the last paragraph of their letter...

4MidgetHitmen
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

It seems convenient to me that Saddam waited so long to let the inspectors in.Come on what the he!! do you think he was doing in that time.Stashing weapons or playing board games.Even if the UN gets close to some of the stashed weapons do you really think they're going to be allowed to lay their eyes on them?
    I know it looks like a nuclear hazard sign mr. inspector sir,but that's really the women's bathroom,and being a guy and all you can't go in there.
    Here we go again.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

this is just 'spin'. he's buying time.
    actions speak louder than words. have to see that they do as they promised they would, but now it will be much harder for the bush administration to get the europeans support, so in that saddam has succeeded. the u.s. has dismissed this as a tactical ploy and they are right in my opinion.
    know how to sell your wares. intrinsic quality isnt enough. not everyone bites at substance or looks for inner value. people like to follow the crowd;they go someplace because they see other people do so. uniqueness appeals both to the taste and to the intellect.

I agree w/ hornet. My opinion has been that all this time, the non compliance by Iraq has just been a smoke screen, (which is further exacerbated by the US wasting time screwing around with the UN, trying to get their support), Iraq has been getting the weapons out of the country, either by stashing them somewhere, or, even worse, selling them off to other militant organizations (like the Al-queda). Of course they'll let us in now, they've got all the weapons out of the public eye. I think, that if we get to close to the munitions, and Iraq once again starts causing trouble, we DON"T HESITATE to take action, whether the UN will help us, or not.
    - T3|\\|9U () -

do u all think they can search all over the irag territory to find irag's chemistry or bomb lab. wat i noticed its irag really like to build sth underground. n how bout the build it in the dessert. or if they have companion and build it in their companion country. but do u think irag will have the money to build all those thing with their economic crisis. but my friend told me
    B - beat
    U - Up
    S - Saddam
    H - Hussein
    lol... but this war rise again after Bush take over the world. nothing happen when Clinton incharge. so ..... wat Bush really want to do?

I think Saddam stalled long enough to get everything moved to a secure place. It isn't like he hasn't done it before. If there is anything, and if it's found, the whole game will start again. The inspectors won't be allowed in and the posturing will start. No team of a few inspectors, as somebody mentioned, can search that entire country. It's a game of hide and seek played out in a country the size of Texas. Ten or twenty inspectors are looking for a few needles in that area.

I wouldn't be surprised if they do find some stuff, probably old, ineffective, and no good, but the current manufacture will be well hidden.