Thread: ms dos help

ms dos help

going to the Ms - Dos and typing in edit then opening up one of various files...what am i looking at? Is there a name for it and is there any way to change it so its somewhat distinguishable? thanks for any help

Edit is like opening up the file in Notepad on a Win32 GUI. Simple as that.

you could open it in a hex editor and see it actual hex valve instead of ita ascii equivilant. it'll make it more orderly but no more readable. its what the machine uses.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Whats up,

Tedob.. does windows come with an Hexeditor if soo how do you open it in hex or do you have to get a program from somewhere like
    http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delph...vi32/xvi32.htm

and use that

Opening a Document in Edit

Opening a txt document in DOS is just bring you to a simple MS-DOS type notepad. You have very limited selections on what you can do, and it has no formatting abilities what-so-ever. I have also noticed people referred you to Hex Editors, and what that is, is a program that gives you a data line view of the document. Including non printing charecters, and data that may have been removed from the document, but not cleared from the file. A common hex editor is diskedit by norton utilities, but there are many to choose from all over the net. I would like to make the suggestion of WinHex, this program can be found at www.winhex.com, and will also allow you to view the surplus sectos of the mdeia, these are the areas that cannot be formatted to a complete cluster, but may also be tampered with to hold information. If you have any specific questions that you are looking to answer. I will try my best at shooting you back some information. I hope this helps!

a text editor without the GUI interface

i suggest getting 'far' from rarsoft.com, much like the *nix midnight commander it allows you to browse threw directories to find a file. when you find a file you want to view press F3 to view it in ascii then F4 for the hex view. this program dosn't allow you to edit files accidently, you have to press F6 to edit, so you don't have to worry about corrupting files unintentionally.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

It is essentially a word processor.

bob_dole_lpb, a hex editor is absolutely nothing like a word processor. i suggest if you don't know what one is, don't use one. you'll really mess up your os.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one