I'm told I need to give negative antipoints!!

Thread: I'm told I need to give negative antipoints!!

I'm told I need to give negative antipoints!!

I've got this thing on AO frontpage telling me I need to give antipoints, so it'll go away. I've given out 4 positive, now I can't or am not supposed to give any more because I'm out of balance??

Am I supposed to go hunting people to give a couple of negative points? Or, should I just do what I've been doing and ignore it. It's kind of nice to give positive points to people when you think they deserve them.

Flash M0nkey
    the whole balance thing caused quite a stir when it was first introduced to the site......and in some ways it still does!
    but i odn't think it means you should go looking for people to neg....just try and remember that bad posts deserve negs as much as good ones deserve positives!
    You can ignnore it - alot of people do, you won't get banned for it or anything

v_Ln

Yeah, do what you feel is best. I have the same problem, as you will see when you read this post. My "user tends to assign" is at the same spot as yours. Also, I posted a similar question about the balance thing, and I was told not to worry about it by one of the Senior Members, if I remember correctly. However, val is right in saying that there are posts that deserve negs as well as ones that deserve positive APs. All it means is that your APs you give to people (positive) will count for less since your "balance" is off. I still people positive APs where I feel it is warranted. Definitely, don't go looking for people to neg. We have enough of that going around already.

Peace and Blessings.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I don't plan to go hunting for people to give negative points. God, we'd all be handing them out like Halloween candy if we negged everybody who didn't agree with us all the time. The point of many discussions, at least those I'm most into, is just that -- to discuss. If we agree, there is no discussion.

I think it is important to give out neg's only for posts that deserve it not to neg because you have to balance out or because you disagree. Differences in opinions are what makes life interesting. Sometimes a different opinion can make you take a second look at something.

I agree.I only neg people that make ignorant comments or give bad/incorrect tech. advice.A person shouldn't be punished because he/she has a different opinion.The whole point of posting something is to see everyone's INDIVIDUAL view,not so everyone can repeatedly agree with you about everything.That would make for some very boring posts.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I'm like Hornet... If the post is totally ignorant or the advice given is bad or incorrect then it should get a neg...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

And that's what the system is all about...to have the AO community "police" itself and prevent the bad apples from ruining the bunch as much as possible...I think it's a great system all in all...
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile