Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Building your own box from scratch

Local computer shop

If it is your first time building a computer and your not quite sure of yourself it would be wise to buy the parts (or most of the parts) from a local computer store (small builder, not Best Buy etc). Most places will be willing to help if you hit a road block, such as an OS quirk or hardware conflict (which happens a lot with cheaper hardware).
    From the tone of the tutorial it sounds like this was geared towards a novice, so it may help to have experienced people that are willing to help. Just my 2 cents.

Oh yeah, Intel doesn't "lock" their chips, you can over clock them. But, AFAIK you cannot use INTEL boards to overclock their chips. That is, if you want to overclock a P4 (or P3, P2, etc) don't buy an Intel motherboard.
    Where\'s the booze? -- Harry Dunne Dumb and Dumber

Old Fart
    BTW...LBD, who ever you are...you keep negging me and saying I copied this and you can prove it. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and post what you claim to know. I wrote this tut. freehand from the top of my head and I challenge you to prove otherwise.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

BTW...LBD, who ever you are...you keep negging me and saying I copied this and you can prove it. PUT YOUR MONEY WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS and post what you claim to know. I wrote this tut. freehand from the top of my head and I challenge you to prove otherwise.
    Hey Al, I got the same reaction from some guy signing his AP assignment to me with LBD, does it look anything like this one I copied from my AP center? I was kinda curious about the reference to "a COPY" as all I did was reply to your post with a bit of sillyness, I never meant any harm and I am sure you know that. It just kinda struck me as a bit odd to get a neg with reference to copying something when I was just being jovial.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

aeallison

ditto - I got got with exactly the same message from LBD. Followed by an anonymous one accusing me of being a kiss-arse and the assignment was for (sic) "Why did I get neg's because of the thread being a copy?" guess the author was referring to why I got the red dot..... which I think translates to both a Question and an Answer for my benefit.

Both AP assignments were given at the exact same time strangely enough..... oh well, let the kiddies have their couple of minutes of fun, no harm done, life goes on .

For whats its worth LBD whoever you are, I still enjoyed the tutorial.

PP

Senior since the 3 dot era
    I have recieved exactly the same from LBD and the same goes for Xmadness (he recieved same comments).
    In my opinion best is to stop talking about it. He or she doing this will once be revealed... and ap abuse has caused bannings in the past. If he or she is right then prove is requested.

yup, i would say so.
    but first you would have to plough the field, sow the seeds, fertilise the soil etcetra.
    and of course, you have to evolve primative cells into chickens to get the eggs...
    it depends on how far you want to read in on it.
    but you can only go back to the creation of the universe, (or the devine creation of the universe, if you are like that) the fusion of hydrogen atoms in stars to form helium and other heavier elements, and the forming of worlds from the left over gasses after the original star exploded after using up all its hydrogen, then the 'heavier' elements like carbon (and silicon at high temperatures and pressures) joining with 'lighter' elements to form compounds, then protiens, amino acids, cells, multicellular structures (like hydra) and somewhere along the way triploblastic celomates like ourselves....
    you see where i am going with this.
    im just being an ass, playing devils advocate.
    im going to hide the above drivel, so as not to wreck the thread.

edit..........................
    to those it concerns. which is everyone if you are not aeallison, but definately some more than others. namely two children who it seems are unfamiliar with various modern interpretations of humor, exaggeration and free speech, not to mention the origins of the universe, evolution and probably a certain few "big" words already mentioned above.
    the entire unedited above responce to aeallison's curiosity of my motivations behind my original writing in this thread, was intended to purely amuse, at the expense of ranting quickly off the top of my head about how far you can read into (or analyse) a given statement, to which i set an ultimate limit, the origin of our universe.
    to me this is not idiocy, extremeism at most, but not the ravings of an illiterate. and isn't it ironic to be called an idiot, in a thread to which i contributed information, by a person who didn't contribute, and came here seeking information on a topic i was already WELL versed in. LOL@U4THAT!
    furthermore, i originally posted this response as 'hidden' (being curtious as i am -- "Hide this Post: if this post is a spoiler, or otherwise __something that people might not want to see__, check this box..." -- sorry for disapointing you so much, but i didn't make you click on the link) to prevent this TUTORIAL from ending up as a private conversation between myself and aeallison, which in retrospect seems to have been in vain, as the thread has ended up as an off topic, personal conversation between various people. on this, i am impartial.
    so now, aeallison, it is I that am now curious, as to whether you too recieved negative points for your original off topic little curosity? was it deemed "pretty useless" by other, potentially superior, users? and seeing as we both made "pretty useless" posts, could everyone then ( logically ) assume that we "get off on being a jerk"? (although 'jerk' is undefined, i didn't think it's definition would encompass deviant off-topic writings to strangers on public forums) or would only one person (albeit a pityful excuse of) make this asumption. the mind boggles. in addition, this person failed to comment on (or give credit to) the nugget of information i included earlier on in this thread, something that this person, potentially, would benefit from. testicle,
    juggler.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

very good tutorial.i built my pc by myself and i am fairly new but interested in hardware more than in software.
    one advice for a very new pc builders like myself-electrostatic in your hands/ fingers can fry nearly every component in your box.
    please buy antistatic wrist strap(not expensive at all),or use old tehnique to touch metal before you procede to work on box.
    please when working (building-adding components make sure power is not on.
    never try to dismantle power suplly-it can kill you even when not connected.
    this site has a lot of handy tutorials and even show you how to build pc and attache everything in pictures.www.tomshardware.com
    enjoy

On the subject of noise from the beginning if you are worried about heat dissapation and having little noise there are magnetic driven fans now that are very quiet and put out a nice airflow such as the Y.S. TECH Tip-Magnetic Driving Fan Cooler which operates at 29.6 CFM and only 33 dBa http://www.computermods.com/Y.S.html. Also wanted to add for up and coming overclockers out there, there are other "Extreme" cooling methods such as water cooling and Phase Change systems, As well as LN2 cooled (Not the safest but im working on an invention to try and make it safe).

Oooops Almost forgot Cheers to allenb on writing a magnificent tutorial.

PeacE
    -BoB
    #!/usr/local/bin/perl -s-- -export-a-crypto-system-sig -RSA-in-3-lines-PERL
    ($k,$n)=@ARGV;$m=unpack(H.$w,$m.\"\\0\"x$w),$_=`echo \"16do$w 2+4Oi0$d*-^1[d2%
    Sa2/d0<X+d*La1=z\\U$n%0]SX$k\"[$m*]\\EszlXx++p|dc`,s/^.|\\W//g,print pack(\'H*\'
    ,$_)while read(STDIN,$m,($w=2*$d-1+length($n||die\"$0 [-d] k n\\n\")&~1)/2)