Thread: problem installing Linux

problem installing Linux

I wanted to install Caldera OpenLinux2.2 put i had a problem,
    The manual said if u have a bootable CD-Rom,it will boot the installation by itself but i don't know if it is bootable or not,all i know is that it is an 48*Max compact disc,i tried to boot it but it didn't so i realized that my CD-Rom is not bootable so I created a booting floppy(here comes the problem)i created a Lizard install floppy,Lizard modules floppy,Lisa install floppy and Lisa modules floppy but the 4 of them just don't work;
    Lizard install:i put it in the floppy drive,restart the PC,i screen appears in big letters CALDERA and then it performs a couple of things with dots after it and then the screen turns into another screen which shows the hardware detection and a couple of other things that i don't recognise and then after the detection is completed the screen turns white and black and then white and then black and then white again,that's when it stops,it just stays white for 15 minutes or something and i had to restart to remove it.
    Lizard modules:the manual says its better than the install floppy because it has a larger ability of hardware detection but it just didn't work,when i put the floppy and restart nothing happens and the computer just restarts normaly without even the error message which appear whenever u open the PC with a floppy inside as if it didn't recognise the floppy at all.
    Lisa install:the manual said it is bad because it installs Linux without a GUI but i thought-how about trying it? so i put it,restart and then it does the same thing as the Lizard but at the part of white and black it opens the installation instead so i continue the installation without understanding a word of what it says like hda and kernel and **** but i just choose whatever i like and continue with it untill it came to point where it refused to continue any longer and printed out an error message which i didn't understand,i went back and changed some choices but it refuses to continue so i thought-it is a bad installation tool and it doesn't even work properly-f@ck it
    Lisa modules:same as the Lizard modules,nothing works.

execuse me for my bad english because i am not american althought i live there and please help me,please,please,

TURBOWEST

Hey TURBO, maybe you need to check your BIOS to make sure that your CD ROM is listed as an option from which to boot. It may very well be a simple BIOS setting. Now, how to get to your BIOS is a different story. It depends on the manufacturer of your hardware. I work with COMPAQs alot, and I have to press the F10 key to get to it there. Another thing you can try is to try making new boot floppies. I don't know how you got the ones you have...they may have come with your package, if you bought it I guess. But anyway, maybe the floppies are bad. Do you have access to another computer that you could make boot floppies from again? The command is probably something like mkboot or makeboot...I hope this helps...
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

well,i know how to get to my BIOS but which option exactly should i use and about the floppies, I made them from the installer interface,this might be it,i will try to make them again on a good floppy