Thread: Yeah me!

Talking Yeah me!

Today, I had a really good experience loading Red Hat 7.2. I was recently given a project to do which involved building a Linux box to be used for penetration testing among other things. For those who didn't know from my numerous posts referring to myself as not only a Security newbie, but a Linux newbie, this seemed like a great place for me to start learning! The install went just fine (I was surprised since an older version of Mandrake gave me many problems - but I think it had something to do with the hardware, at least somewhat). I was able to remember a few of the commands that I had learned a little while ago. With this small amount of knowledge, I was able to figure out how to install packages. I even had to configure nameservers and a default gw after I couldn't communicate with anything on the network. It was great, it just came to me, and the parts I didn't know, I only needed a reminder or clue... Anyway, why have I told you this? I just wanted to share my excitement with you...who better than my AO community - who has helped me whenever called upon...YEAH ME!

Ummm, you could've installed RH7.3... never mind. You can upgrade it later.

Congratulations! I had a great experience myself a month ago installing RH7.3 (dual boot with my existing W2K Pro) on my notebook. I once tried to install RH6.0 last year but failed, I guess due to lack of PCMCIA drivers or such. Anyway, thanks to AO community, especially for info on the dual boot thing. You might not find everything here, but there are always people who know where to find what you need.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Ok dude, help me out here... /me not sure why you posted this???

Edit: Oh btw jdenny, thanks for the congrats! I have much more learning to do, but the good thing is that I want to learn...
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile