Thread: Will LINUX take over MICROSOFT??

Will LINUX take over MICROSOFT??

I believe so...

Mandrake linux will have 9 version very soon, RED HAT LINUX will have 8 version very soon..
    UnitedLinux=SuSE,Caldera,Conectiva,TurboLinux have banded together to create a new standard base for bussines orientated Linux distros.The new "UnitedLinux" will hit the street by the end of the year.
    On the other side RED HAT LINUX become closer recently to ORACLE, and ORACLE let ..RED HAT LINUX to use their "testing lab housing" for their development.
    I guess LINUX will be one of the most powerfull of OSes...(will Bill Gates worried??).
    And I believed..a new powerfull hackers will be born..(mmm..maybe..? I assume we living in the jungle..technology.. )

So.....what do you think..??????..Hmmmm BTW this is just my opinion..
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Microsoft is too well-entrenched to be taken over in the OS market. Microsoft products are the products that MOST people use these days - most of these people like the ease of Windows (yea, Windows is easy to use, but prone to crashing - frequently), etc. And it also seems that Microsoft has a hand in everything.

While most of us here would like to see Linux take-over such as Microsoft has, I just don't see it happening. It's a shame, but that's the way that it is.
    - Maverick

Originally posted here by Maverick811
    most of these people like the ease of Windows (yea, Windows is easy to use, but prone to crashing - frequently), etc. And it also seems that Microsoft has a hand in everything.
    Windows crashing is becoming less and less of a problem....
    Previous versions of Windows, they would crash at the drop of a penny... and then Bill would steal the penny!!! *what a bastard.. :P*

But Windows 2000 and XP are quite stable, almost to the point that its not going to be a problem for the general user anymore....

Side Note: If someone says that their PC is crashing all the time... don't necessarily think crappy OS.. hardware can cause such a wide variety of crashes, that when you look at it, you say... "god damn windows, you piece of ****, I'm going to rip your head off and make you eat your own ass"... but its got nothing to do with Windows or Linux...

On Linux taking over MS... on the desktop, I say not likely.. if they will, it won't do it for a long time....

Linux has its best chance in the server market... there it can take MS down a few notches... because you want your servers to be secure, and Microsoft don't have the best track record... although they are trying to improve.. *so they say... :/*

Thanks,
    Matty_Cross
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

"god damn windows, you piece of ****, I'm going to rip your head off and make you eat your own ass"...
    Eat your own ass??? I don't think I've ever heard that one before...

Anyway, Matty is right IMO. MS has a stranglehold on the desktop arena right now. If they're gonna get taken down, then its going to take a long while.
    I like what the UnitedLinux group is trying to do with standardization. Thats one of the big problems with Linux in the biz environment (JMO).
    Like Matty said, Linux needs to start by getting into the corporations through their servers.
    I'm trying to get my company to support my idea of our firewall using Linux instead of NT. Our one and only Linux box on the network...and I'm the only one who knows Linux here.....job security baby!

Take Care!

...eat your own ass......whew!

I don't think that Linux is really even close in "taking over" the desktop environment. These people have been using Windows for mostly the entire time they have even touched computers. It's hard to convince someone to change something they are used to for so many years. Just think, the reason why most people even decided to buy computers is because of the ease of use of Windows. Linux is more of a "down and dirty", know your stuff OS. And I like it partially for this reason. Of course, the other main reason is stability. M$ definitely has a chokehold on the market, and as long as Bill and the gang keep cranking out OS after OS with easier interfaces, this will likely continue. However, I am in 100% agreement with the idea of them trying to really establish themselves on the Server-side. I saw my first Linux server commerical a little while back that was done by IBM. They were, of course, emphasizing the power and stability. It was pretty neat to finally see a commercial for it. They need to muster their resources and hit the market - hard. I would love to see more of it in our DataCenter - I'm definitely with the job security thing!
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Hmm...Linux overtaking Windows...I don't see it happening. There are several reasons for this train of thought. In the 80's, there were many types of computers and each had their own OS and hardware. On the end user side, you had the problem of using a Wang at work, your kids were using Apples at school and at home you had a Commodore 64. It was not possible for you to transfer files from one system to another. Remember, I am talking about users who were not very adept at computers. The general cry at that time was, one system for everything. I want to be able to take my work home with me. During this time, Microsoft was developing their own OS. (actually bought from another company but that is another story) At the time, the computer industry did not see a market for software, only hardware. So Microsoft was able to keep control of their own software without the other hardware companies trying to gain control of it. Of course, Apple was there too but they were not willing to allow their software to run on other platforms and they wanted to keep total control of the software and hardware. This allowed Microsoft to gain a foothold and keep it to this day. Toward the end of the 80's. hardware companies such as IBM started to see that Microsoft was on the right track and tried to develop their own OS. (OS2). However, the time to be able to do what Microsoft had done was past and these other OS's did not survive.
    It all falls under being in the right place at the right time. I don't see the
    same thing happening again in the near future such as it was in the early and mid 80's.
    The business world uses Microsoft for the most part. Since that is the case, software
    companies are going to develop products that will make money and raise their bottom line. This means writing Microsoft compatible products.
    Linux is a great OS. I run my ISP using only Linux based systems. I would love to see Linux move into a greater share of the desktop workspace but I don't see the time
    as right yet. The people who make the final decision about what will be purchased for a
    company is not the engineers or techs, but the business management. Since they do not understand the technology, and why would they, that is not their function, they go with the flow. And that means Microsoft.
    For the record, I am what my colleges call a Linux Bigot. I would rather use
    Linux in as many was possible and phase out other OS's if Linux is a better choice. Open
    Source is a great idea and true to the Hacker concept. However, I am also a realist and
    I see that Linux still has a ways to go to prove itself to the business side of the house.
    I am waiting for that day.

Originally posted here by Infiltrator
    hardware companies such as IBM started to see that Microsoft was on the right track and tried to develop their own OS. (OS2). However, the time to be able to do what Microsoft had done was past and these other OS's did not survive.
    I'm not sure about the others, but didn't OS2 die because IBM partnered with MS, and when they broke up the partnership, MS was able to hold onto the source code of it? (It was something like that).. It made releasing a new version of OS2 a major pain in the ass, and IBM decided to can the project...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"