Thread: Application not responding - You should not see me

Question Application not responding - You should not see me

Mornin',

I've noticed a strange happening's on my laptop recently... Its been running slowly, applications aren't opening... and I figured, damn, I must've really damaged something when I dropped it the other night ....

That was until, trying to shut it down, it sat there for a while... and then it popped up saying that an application called "you should not see me" was not responding....

I've had a look around for what this program that isn't responding is, and all I can find is a reference to VMware and websense, neither of which are installed (this is a fresh install on the laptop)...

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matty_Cross
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Re: Application not responding - You should not see me

Mornin',
    I thought it's almost midnite there in Sydney... oh, you mean it for the US fellows...

Did that happen only when you're connected to the Net? Some believe that it might be virus or trojan or such.
    http://www.computing.net/security/ww...forum/646.html (read Response Number 8).

Dunno for sure tho...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

jdenny,

I read that one already..
    Unfortunately, it was (as most of the pages were) no help whatsoever... I think what happened for response #8 was that they had the message.. but they also had a trojan... the error message and the slowness is the only thing similar to what I'm experiencing...

The laptop wasn't even connected to a network, although it did have a USB Ethernet Adapter connected...

On a further note, I forgot to mention that the laptop is running Windows 2000 Pro... Silly me...

I've noticed that the laptop has a bitch of a time opening up network properties, and often freezes the first time... when I get tired of it waiting, and kill explorer.exe, it pops up saying that something could not be found.. unfortunately, the laptop battery has just gone flat and I left the power supply at work, so I'll have to wait till tommorow to get exactly what it was....

I've noticed that the Ethernet Adapter refuses to pick up an IP address properly (when switching from DHCP to static, I have to unplug the USB adapter and plug it back in and when using DHCP the adapter will not pick up an IP), so it could be an issue with the adapter, which I'm going to examine further (when I get my power supply)...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.

hi. i hope these help:

http://www.computing.net/security/ww...forum/646.html

Originally posted here Why do you think buffer stack overflows are not corrected being such security vulnerabilites and easily correctable...? Laziness? Money ? I think not.

I think it is all deliberate and intentful.

Call it a conspiracy theory or wild delusion, I just seek the truth...........
    dont worry, this was the only paranoid response. there are some decent responses and one which the guy said some strange words were being typed from remote.

websense kind of gives another answer:

http://www.websense.com/support/docu...e44/ReadMe.txt

Originally posted here * WINDOWS 2000 INSTALL/UNINSTALL: If Windows Explorer
    is open in Windows 2000 during installation of the
    Websense Enterprise, Check Point FireWall-1 Edition,
    or when you uninstall any edition of Websense, you may
    see the message "Ending Program...you should not see me"
    just as Windows shuts down for the restart. This message
    comes from Windows 2000, and does not affect Websense
    installation in any way.
    this leads me to believe it is a win2000 message. did you install anything recently that may give you this? otherwise, there may be a security issue with this.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/IEB/Tool...quin/sequin1.c

Originally posted here }
    */
    nsep = FindNucSeqEntry (sep);
    if (hiddengenbio == NULL) {
    wnd = FixedWindow (-50, -33, -10, -10, "you should not see me", NULL);
    hiddengenbio = CreateSimpleBioSourceDialog (wnd, "");
    RealizeWindow (wnd); /* never show this window - just for biosource dialog */
    }

other than that, all i get is vmware. good luck!
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Computer Forensics
    After Talking To matty about this one a bit in irc...this seems to be caused from one of two things.

1) MSI OR Installshield can corrupt the registry, causing this to happen.
    2) It is a bad VB/VBScript call made by the installation that can cause this to happen.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I've had this happen once or twice before when I used win98 if I remember right...
    Never really made anything of it: I believe it must be some weird occurence buy which a window became "un-hidden" when it shouldn't be visible (hence the window title...).

Rebooted, everything was fine after... go figure!

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Well, I've pencilled rebuilding my laptop into my book of things to do... *I nudged get a life out of the way to fit it in*... I'll probably be doing that tommorow....

Time to wait and see....
    -Matty_Cross

I've got one problemm before on my laptop...(toshiba tecra..pentium 3 running xp)..what what did is ..I run that windows xp recovery for my laptop ..and everything back to normal.Is your laptop comes with windows 2000 recovery?? if you have.. try that..(mine is work..).When the first time I thought is trojan..but after I use that CD recovery ..everything back to normal
    Not an image or image does not exist!

ups I made mistake of my typed writing..mmm..part of "what what did is">>I meant "what I did is"...upsyy..hehehe ..sorry

Well, I've rebuilt the laptop, and it has solve both the problems that I was experiencing.... So now it shuts down properly, and the USB network adapter doesn't need to be removed to get it to pick up an IP...

Thank you to all who made suggestions....
    -Matty_Cross