Thread: SSH on RH

Question SSH on RH

Ok people. I need to enlist your expertise. I have installed SSH on RH, and I was able to connect to the box yesterday via an SSH2 client from my Win2k box. However, today, I moved the Linux box into a different VLAN (same as my Windows box), and I am unable to get to it. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the fact that I changed IP addresses, but I cannot figure out how to get it working again. This is what I have tried so far:

I tried restarting ssh by typing ssh start/restart.
    I also went into the /etc/ssh2 folder and changed the listening address from 0.0.0.0 to the box's correct address in the sshd2_config file. After this, I even tried restarting the service again. It will not show up when I do a netstat -an.
    The error I get when trying to restart the service is Connecting to restart failed: No address associated to the name. Maybe I am trying to restart the service wrong. Or maybe I configured the wrong file or put the wrong address in...help please.

Thanks.

Computer Forensics
    well, I hope it was a typo, but ssh start won't work. /etc/init.d/sshd start will work however. Try regenerating the SSH keys.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Yes, that's what I meant. Thanks for pointing that out. Ok, I figured out how to start the daemon with the help of one of my fellow cohorts here. All I had to do was type sshd - not even with start/restart or anything like that. I do however, need to figure out what startup script/folder to put it in because for some reason, it doesn't start upon reboot or I would have had it working long before now...thanks for the suggestion..
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

You could just put it at the end of /etc/rc.d/rc.local. That should run it on startup. There's a nicer way to load SSH on startup, but I don't recall it off-hand.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well to start it you need to figure out which run levels you want it to start in first. Here is an outline of the common run-levels.

• 0 Runlevel - Not really used. This will hault the box as soon as its done loading the kernel, modules, and drivers.
    • 1 Runlevel - Single user mode, network doesn't load, no X, some filesystems won't load.. don't need it
    • 2 Runlevel - Multiuser More common, but no X is loaded, made for machines w/o a perminent network conection, all file systems are mounted.
    • 3, 4 Runlevels - Typical Server default runlevel, will leave you at a command login, all network services. 4 is user defined.
    • 5 Runlevel - Typical workstation default runlevel, all network connections, X starts and gives you the GUI login.

Now to figure out what run levels ssh is running at type in the shell

# chkconfig --list sshd

it will give you a display of what runlevels sshd will auto start on. Example:

sshd 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:off 4:off 5:off 6:off

so in this situation sshd won't start in any runlevels.

Turn turn it on for specific runlevels type:

# chkconfig --level 345 sshd on

This command will start sshd in runlevels 3, 4, and 5. Check to be sure by again typing:

# chkconfig --list sshd

you should now get the print out:

sshd 0:off 1:off 2:off 3:on 4:on 5:on 6:off

Hope that helps.

Computer Forensics
    is the sshd file in /etc/init.d ? if not put it there, it should now start on reboot.

And yes, plain old sshd will start the daemon.
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Peeps...thanks for all of your help. You all never cease to amaze me...one day I will be able to give help to people using Linux...it'll be a grand day...
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I'm not sure, but I'd check the /etc/hosts file to see if the old IP is still associated with the hostname. I'm probably incorrect, but from your post it sounds like you may have a problem with reverse lookups.

P.S. I can't tell from your last post if you've got it working yet, if you have never mind.
    Where\'s the booze? -- Harry Dunne Dumb and Dumber