linux and windows web servers

Thread: linux and windows web servers

Banned

linux and windows web servers

right now i'm running an apache 2.0 web server on a windows 2k os. i wanted to update the apache with frontpage extensions (for form control reasons)but, whenever i publish my website it says that server extensions aren't on it. i was wondering if i would have to go to a straight up windows web server. and,if i were to do that, which one would do the job. does exchange, only do ms exchange, or will it do other general server stuff, such as hosting a web site? or,maybe bite the bullet and get red hat or some other linux os and load apache on it, since it was made for linux like os. please, what are your thoughts

this is an intranet web site

Hook yourself up with Linux! Its pretty easy to get going with Apache on there too. Or you could go the MS route, and put up an IIS server.

Either way its up to you. Remember to patach your IIS server if you decide to go that way. Apache has a new version out, and I haven't read of any exploits for it yet. but who knows.

Apache.org
    MS's IIS support site

Hope this helps

From my experience, if you need to use FrontPage extensions, it's best to stay with a Windows platform. That's what they were designed for. It was a nightmare for me trying to maintain FrontPage extensions with Apache when I was administering a linux web server a few years ago. Then again, FrontPage extensions weren't fully supported in Apache at the time, so things may have changed a lot since then. Anyway, just my $.02
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Banned
    I know you have to have internet information services (IIS) but is there just a software IIS that does web hosting? I guess my question is that, what web hosting programs are there out for windows?

If you need to use frontpage extentions and it's an intranet website I would go ahead and use IIS.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Well, definitely, Apache would be the best choice (IMO) and it would be a good choice if you are using a windows choice (again, JMO). If you need help configuring apache or want to add specials/extra's into it or anything, PM me and I'll be glad to help ya out. -- Jason Copeland

I agree with Roswell. If you need Frontpage extentions you should probably stick with a Windows server. As to your question about Exchange server... when you install Exchange you can also install OWA (Outlook Web Access) which is the web component. If you have this installed you can run other web stuff from the server as it uses the standard IIS. Depending on the size of your server this may not be recomended as Exchange usually puts a pretty good load on a server. Hope this helps....
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

Banned
    thank you all for your help. i think i will go with site server 3.0. if you have any input about this prog, it would be great. also, if you know where to purchase it, or get where to dl a demo at, it would also be great. i already looked at google with no good websites.