Thread: problem with microsft updates page

problem with microsft updates page

I dowloaded internet explorer 6 SP1 with internet tools. I could not access Hotmail afterwards. When I logged in to Hotmail all I got was a page full of words and gibberrish every time . I e-mailed their support and have received no answer. Iam running windows Me can anyone possibly tell me what might have happened. Auntie (newbie)
    For hundreds of years the brain was physically capable of the thoughts of a Galelio or an Aristotle among people who had not yet learned to count to ten. Much of that equipment is still unused and waiting.

Hmmm, where to begin?

Hello auntie,
    Fist things first, your problem with Hotmail, it seems that it has screwed my hotmail up as well, my MSN messenger is telling me I have mail waiting to be read, but when I try to access it they send me to the sign up page, it seems that my mail is in limbo because if I sign up for the account I had, they say its being used by someone else, and of course, if I try for a new account, it is just that a new account.

Second point:
    This forum is for Bugs on AO, not Hotmail, The proper forum to make this type of post would be here

Good luck with your Hotmail, I have decided not to use it anymore.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

I have just been to the update site aswell, downloaded the same patch, then just went to hotmail, no problem at all. I am running Windows 2k, rather than ME, always found ME a bit buggy in general to say the least. Only thing I can suggest is to try unistalling the patch and reinstalling, if you saved the files when you were applying the service pack you should be able to remove it through 'add/remove programs' I think. If not just unistall and re-install IE6, trouble is with some of these problems you spend so long troubleshooting them that you could have re-installed 3 times, lol.

Good luck

Re: problem with microsft updates page

Originally posted here by auntie
    I dowloaded internet explorer 6 SP1 with internet tools. I could not access Hotmail afterwards. When I logged in to Hotmail all I got was a page full of words and gibberrish every time . I e-mailed their support and have received no answer. Iam running windows Me can anyone possibly tell me what might have happened. Auntie (newbie)

It's pretty crappy that a Microsoft product causes another to malfunction. Anyway, good luck with Hotmail's tech support...

Since you are running ME, the problem *could* be related there, but that's just a guess. I'd try first to reinstall IE6SP1 directly from Microsoft's website, don't use Windows Update. Try reinstalling the entire IE6 package, then see what you've got.

If it's urgent that you receive your Hotmail mail, install Netscape Communicator and access Hotmail that way...

I'm running IE6SP1 on a Win 2000 Pro machine and a Win 98 machine and I have accessed Hotmail without any problems.
    - Maverick

I'm not sure if this will help but IE6, Windows Messenger, and hotmail all seem to be closely linked... If I don't let Windows Messenger log in first I have a lot of trouble getting to my hotmail account and using Outlook for other stuff... I'm Running XP Pro and that in and of it self could be the reason...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Windows ME

Isn't that the bastard child that MS doesn't like acknowledge?
    Where\'s the booze? -- Harry Dunne Dumb and Dumber

My biggest problem with hotmail is that it only allows 250 junk mail addresses. LOL, I get more spam from hotmail than anywhere. I don't use it except to have my msn account.

I didn't download any patches and had no problem accessing my 206 spam mail messages for the week.

Originally posted here by zaggy
    My biggest problem with hotmail is that it only allows 250 junk mail addresses. LOL, I get more spam from hotmail than anywhere. I don't use it except to have my msn account.

I didn't download any patches and had no problem accessing my 206 spam mail messages for the week.

You only get 206 spam messages for the week? My Hotmail account can fill that up in 2 days No joke... I honestly don't even know why I check it anymore...
    - Maverick