Thread: Data package...got me hooked.

Data package...got me hooked.

Hi people,
    How did you get interested in programming? This is something so small that you might think it is not worth posting, but to me who am just starting to learn the basics of it, it is just the opposite. Well here goes. My son and I discussed an issue about what got us interested in this field. To me it is the simple fact of when I use the mouse and click on a file and issue the command to copy (just an example) what happens then?

This simple operation when asking someone what happens, they might very often say they are just copying a file from the pc to a stiffy. Either b/up or whatever type of file it maybe. Now to me it use to be the same until recently.

What I want to know is from the moment you click send to, or copy how do the CPU and software interpret this command mathematically. This packet of data, what does it contain, how is the instruction executed, what does it evaluate first, what to ignore, what reply must be sent back before executed and so on. I would like to know when I use a function on a keyboard or a click by a mouse on any part of a program, how is the data package sent back and fourth.

This is why it is so interesting to me and sparked the whole idea of learning the programming languages. I know it doesn’t happen in one day, but I know it will be worth it. I am only starting to read the manuals on Turbo Pascal now so wish me luck.

Just wanted to share this with you because I know you will understand exactly where I am coming from.

Regards
    V/man
    Practise what you preach.

Kewl man, good fer you fer gettin' into programming. . .I don't think I would go with Turbo Pascal as an opener though, it's tough, and not used very often. If you want a tough one that'll help with learning others later on, go with C/C++ or Perl, IMHO.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I know what you mean. Some people enjoy computers, and the internet, and thats it. They might think its kind of cool to learn a little of how it works, but for some that little bit of knowledge doesn't cut it! I'm not really into programming, but I'm busy analysing every packet thats involved in some of the various exploits that are out there.
    Its this, (I can't believe I'm going to say it), "search/quest for knowledge" that seperates people in communities like this from others.

I know where you're coming from, and good luck!

its realy cool what u r interested in, but as a programing newbie I don't think u should begin with pascal, I am a newbie too,I bought a book about C language and began to read it but after a while I read an article about what language u should begin with and it recommended Python and Perl to be the first language u should learn so i just turned to python and had to keep my book stored till Iam good with Python and then continue readin it

Thanks so far guys.To be able to share this feels great
    Practise what you preach.

the question i had to answer to my self is "why when i type 'this' on the key board. 'this' appears on the screen". seems like a simple enough question until you try to really answer it.
    buy the time i had the answer my innocent binary experamentation had becom a full blown hex addiction. half adders just weren't enough for me anymore. but its not just programming its hardware too i thought it was astrnomical when the put 7 million transistors on a chip the size of my finger nail. i still do but 7 million is small change today.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”