Try my tiny password generator

Thread: Try my tiny password generator

A random password generator

Originally posted here by ashbourn
    the best passwords are random ones.
    You may already have your own practical way of choosing good password manually. But you may also wonder how some sites can give you an initial random password when you sign up. I know, google can give me a bunch of links for password generator program, but I'm curious on how to do it. So I've been thinking about generating random password programatically, and here's what I came up with.

Have a look at the sample HTML page (I also attach it below).
    http://members.fortunecity.com/jdenny/passgen.html

It demonstrates the use of my simple password generator program. You may think why on earth I wrote the program in JavaScript. Well, it's because the only thing you need to try it is your very browser you're staring at. I've tested it using NS 4.7 and IE 5.5 on my W2K notebook (Yeah, both are pretty old browsers... but I'm kinda old guy as well ). Just make sure your browser supports JavaScript version 1.3 and enable it. Sorry if the page looks ugly (it is), since I wrote it by hand with the good ol' Notepad!

To those who call themselves programmers, you can easily port it to C, C++, Java, or Perl, since they all have "similar" syntax, and perhaps insert it to your own application (Porting it to VB is a bit tough, but hey, don't you love a challenge?). I suggest not to use the sample page in a production server though, since being a client-side JavaScript application, anybody can see the source code and could exploit it.

All passwords generated by this program should contain
    - mixed case, all uppercase, or all lowercase letters
    - at least two numbers or special characters
    - a letter in the first and last position

I admit that some generated passwords might not as secure as you want. It depends on the quality of the random number generator. I use the JavaScript's Math.random() function to generate random numbers. I'm not sure who will eventually generate them: the JavaScript interpreter, the browser, the operating system, or the hardware. Anyone knows? Anyway, if you use the sample page interactively to generate passwords, you can press the [Generate] button as many as you want until you're tired, I mean, satisfied with the result.

It does include user-selectable special characters like ~!@#$%^&*_. Note that some security experts discourage it as (1) people find them hard to remember, (2) it may break many things (someone set his CMVC password to 'abc|def', then received an error saying "Unable to execute def!"), also (3) it could be a problem if you switch among different national keyboards. Personally, I think it's good to have carefully-selected special characters in a password.

The program is totally free for anybody to use, modify, or distribute, as a whole or partially, without any warranty or support. I added some comments for learning purposes (who says programming ain't fun?). Ummm... oh, any comments are welcome!

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

I use the JavaScript's Math.random() function to generate random numbers. I'm not sure who will eventually generate them: the JavaScript interpreter, the browser, the operating system, or the hardware.
    It's going to be a cooperative effort, depending on how it is seeded.

I believe the standard is to seed it with the number of seconds since jan 1, 1960, which would start by getting the current time from the cmos clock, then the javascript interpreter will put the number through it's number generation formula, and spit it back to the browser which will use the random number however you so told it to.

Edit: Don't quote me, I'm only partially sure about this.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.