dcsimg

Thread: dual booting linux win2000

dual booting linux win2000

I know this question may be in the wrong forum, but I couldn't find a better one for it. I am trying to dual boot Redhat and Win2000. I have both OS' installed and am trying to get the bootsect.lnx file to c:\. I am new at this, so I am running into trouble trying to figure out how to get the file over. I tried a floppy, but windows can't read it. The tutorial I am reading says to put it in a safe place that is accessible from Windows. Where in the Linux file system can I put this so that Windows can access it? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

email reportedly from an Air Force EOD Tech at Kandahar airfield

Banned
    Hello! Looking on Google.com, I got some results that might prove helpful to ya!

a. http://www.computing.net/howto/advanced/linuxnt/
    b. http://home.ubalt.edu/abento/linux/r...ualbootNT.html
    c. http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-dualboot.html

Like a lot of people say here time and time again, www.google.com will be your best friend in most anything you need

BIY

I apologize for asking something as simple as this. I did google this topic a couple times. Of course, it was a couple weeks ago. I got distracted in the process so I have let it sit for a while. I was hoping to get a quick answer from someone that I could interact with and ask questions to. I have about 5 tutorials I am looking at concerning this. I have followed all the instructions. I just can't find anything that says how I can put something from a Linux OS somewhere that Windows can read it.
    “It will not bother me should I live my entire life without having to kill a man but I have to say I\'m glad to be surrounded by a thousand 19 year-old Marines who can\'t wait to.”

Banned
    I apologize for asking something as simple as this. I did google this topic a couple times. Of course, it was a couple weeks ago. I got distracted in the process so I have let it sit for a while. I was hoping to get a quick answer from someone that I could interact with and ask questions to. I have about 5 tutorials I am looking at concerning this. I have followed all the instructions. I just can't find anything that says how I can put something from a Linux OS somewhere that Windows can read it.
    Relax dude... everything is cool. If ya wanna get a quick answer, fine. If ya wanna talk about it, great. I will not condemn you. If Google did not work for you a couple of weeks ago, then that's okay too.

It's not too though to dual boot especially with operating systems recognizing not everybody will use Microsoft, or will use something other than Microsoft (gee what a concept). I suggest you install Windows 2000 first then install the Red Hat afterwards cuz if you install Red Hat then Windows 2000, then Windows 2000 will overwrite LILO/GRUB/whatever and you will have to reinstall LILO/GRUB/whatever with a boot disk/CD.

With that said, let's have another cold one!

Computer Forensics
    The easiest solution to this is to do the following. Partition your hard drive. install Windows 2000 on one partition, Install Redhat on the other. Make sure you install Windows first, then Redhat. Install grub as the bootloader( grub is much faster than the windows bootloader you are trying to use) in the MBR. This is the easiest way for you to dual boot your system. Come into IRC if you want to talk more about it. irc.antionline.com #generalchitchat
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

I find myself apologizing again about my last post. I wasn't trying to sound irritated at all. I was just explaining why I was coming here with this question. It wasn't meant to have any heated tone to it all. Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it.

I agree with hogfly. It's much easier to use a Linux boot loader to boot Windows than vice versa. Just a tiny bit of elaboration on what hogfly said: If you install Windows first, Linux will autodetect it and configure the boot loader for you. There shouldn't be any configuration on your part if you do that.

However, if you don't want to reinstall everything, you can edit grub by hand the way I outlined in this post.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!