Thread: "Would you like to play a game?"

"Would you like to play a game?"

'War Games' revisited

"Would you like to play a game?"

http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2002...2-09-23-02.asp

That was the question voiced by the mega-computer in the 1983 movie "War Games," in which Matthew Broderick played a computer whiz kid who hacks into a military computer to play global thermonuclear war.

The movie itself is a far-fetched Hollywood thriller, of course, in which the computer confuses the game with reality and actually attempts to take control of the U.S. nuclear arsenal.

Yet Defense Department officials may be looking to such computer whiz kids — and the commercial video game industry — to advance how the Pentagon wages war games.

Owen Wormser, principal director for spectrum, space, sensors and command, control and communications in the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense, said recently that DOD officials are looking at the collaborative war games played over the Internet — sometimes involving thousands of people around the world — because they do what DOD needs to do: coordinate large numbers of people scattered around the globe.

"We're watching the gaming industry very closely," said Navy Capt. Michael Lilienthal, director of the Defense Modeling and Simulation Office in Alexandria, Va.

Online war games effectively have set up teams located in diverse places that can work as a single unit, Lilienthal said.

"We need to be aware of what they are doing," he said, and use the work already being done by the gaming industry to DOD's benefit.

is the dept of dopes finally catching on.....nah! its probably what they tell those that walk in on their gameing sessions
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

As long as they don't program their computer to play tic-tac-toe they should do fine...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Yeah, that's one of my favorite movies! I may watch the DVD tonight if I can get the kids to go to sleep with no catches since you mentioned it. I think that there is a lot of room for learning by our government. Maybe they are just blowing smoke up our a55e5 to justify some spending...so they can say that the millions of dollars they are allocated each year are much in need, and oh, but they need more to waste...maybe I am being too negative... that's not like me at all. I like to remain optimistic whenever possible. I'll just wait for the results to see if they are actually learning from the online War Games. I agree 4midgethitmen, they definitely need to stay away from tic tac toe...or maybe they actually need to program tic tac toe just to make sure that the 'puter learns that there are no winners in war, everyone loses...

Peace
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

heh the whole DOD is gonna collapse - it'll work fine till they all discover a CS server
    that'll be them - dead to the world for hrs......must play more CS!!

v_Ln

When you kill 6 people
    in Unreal Tournamen its "Monsterkill"
    in Quake its "Excelent"
    in Counter-Strike its "kicked by console"
    [shadow]i have a herd of 1337 sheep[/shadow]
    Worth should be judged on quality... Not apperance... Anyone can sell you **** inside a pretty box.. The only real gift then is the box..