Physicists create antimatter
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Physicists create antimatter

Exclamation Physicists create antimatter

Hello,

Now, we all know's caiptain's Kirk Photon Torpedo's and his AntiMatter fuel....uhmm..... thingies. Now, just read below.
    By Dennis Overbye
    The New York Times
    September 21, 2002, 6:00 AM PT

Physicists working in Europe have passed through nature's looking glass and have created atoms made of antimatter, or antiatoms, opening up the possibility of experiments in a realm once reserved for science fiction writers.

Such experiments, theorists say, could test some of the basic tenets of modern physics and light the way to a deeper understanding of nature.

Matter and antimatter are like the good and evil twins of nature; they are endowed with equal and opposite characteristics like charge and spin, so if they meet they obliterate each other, releasing a flash of energy upon contact.

Weird as it sounds, antimatter is a normal feature of the real, unfictional universe. Scientists see the creation of anti-hydrogen atoms as the first step toward testing some physicists' deepest notions about nature, which hold that antimatter should look and behave identically to ordinary matter.

For example, any violation of the expected symmetry between hydrogen and anti-hydrogen would rock physics to its core.

The new research was conducted by physicists at CERN, the particle physics laboratory outside Geneva.

By corralling clouds of antimatter particles in a cylindrical chamber laced with detectors and electric and magnetic fields, the physicists assembled anti-hydrogen atoms, the looking glass equivalent of hydrogen, the most simple atom in nature. Whereas hydrogen consists of a positively charged proton circled by a negatively charged electron, in anti-hydrogen the proton's counterpart, a negatively charged anti-proton, is circled by an anti-electron, otherwise known as a positron.

They then observed the flashes of energy when the new anti-hydrogen atoms annihilated themselves in collisions with ordinary matter in the walls of the chamber.

At least 50,000 anti-hydrogen atoms have been created since the experiment began in August, said Dr. Jeffrey S. Hangst, from Aarhus University in Denmark, who coordinated efforts by 39 physicists from 10 institutions in a collaboration named Athena. A paper on their results has been accepted for publication in Nature and was posted on its Web site.

While anti-hydrogen atoms have been glimpsed in CERN experiments before, this is the first time they are being produced under circumstances that might eventually permit their detailed study, the scientists say.

"It's very exciting to see the production of anti-hydrogen," said Dr. Rolf Landua, a CERN physicist and Athena member. "It opens up a whole new line of experiments with antimatter."

In publishing its paper, Athena appears to have just beaten a consortium, also based at CERN and known as Atrap, which has also been in the forefront of antimatter research. In an e-mail message, Atrap's leader, Dr. Gerald Gabrielse of Harvard, called the production of anti-hydrogen an "important and challenging" milestone, adding that his group had seen similar signals.

Dr. Alan Kostelecky, a theoretical physicist at Indiana University, called it "a phenomenal technical achievement," and said that Athena and Atrap were the "the Wright Brothers of antimatter physics." Dr. Kostelecky compared today's announcement to the first powered flight: "Who knows where it will lead. Nobody can foresee it."

In science fiction, antimatter, with its perfect convertibility to energy, is the ultimate rocket fuel, but the CERN scientists see their anti-hydrogen atoms as a ticket not across the galaxy but in effect to a different mathematical universe, in which positive is negative and left is right.

According to the standard theories of physics, the antimatter universe should look identical to our own. Antihydrogen and hydrogen atoms should have the same properties, emitting the exact same frequencies of light, for example.

But some theorists have speculated that the symmetry between matter and antimatter might be violated in some versions of theories that seek to unite Einstein's theories on gravity with the weird rules of quantum mechanics. The most ambitious such "theory of everything," which portrays particles as strings wriggling in 10-dimensional space-time, seems to preserve the matter-antimatter symmetry, but theorists do not really understand why.

Antimatter has been part of physics since 1927 when its existence was predicted by the British physicist Paul Dirac. The antielectron, or positron, was discovered in 1932. According to the theory, matter can only be created in particle-antiparticle pairs. It is still a mystery, cosmologists say, why the universe seems to be overwhelmingly composed of normal matter.

In modern laboratories like CERN or Fermilab in Illinois, physicists accelerate antiprotons or positrons produced by nuclear reactions to the speed of light and collide them with conventional particles to produce tiny starbursts of primordial energy, recreating forms of matter and energy unseen since the big bang.

The raw material for CERN's antimatter factories is made by shooting protons, or naked hydrogen nuclei, into a iridium target, but "instead of speeding them up," Dr. Landua said, "we slow them down."

To do that, CERN built the Antiproton Decelerator, which uses electric and magnetic fields to slow the particles from near light speed to about one-tenth of that, he said.

From there the antiprotons go into a "catching trap," where most of their remaining energy is absorbed and radiated away by electrons swirling in a magnetic field, lowering them to a temperature of about 15 degrees above absolute zero and speeds of a few hundred feet per second. Meanwhile, positrons from the decay of a form of radioactive sodium are separately slowed and accumulated. The two clouds of oppositely charged particles are then superimposed by adjusting electrical fields in a cylindrical "mixing trap" lined with detectors.

Once an antiproton and positron have joined forces, the resulting antihydrogen atom is electrically neutral and thus no longer caged by the electrical fields in the trap. "The atom drifts to where it wants to go," said Dr. Landua, namely the wall where its components will annihilate with their opposite numbers in a characteristic pattern: the antiproton into a spray of lighter particles called pions, and the positron producing a flash of gamma rays. The Athena team recorded this pattern 131 times and based on simulations, concluded that it had produced at least 50,000 antihydrogen atoms.

The Athena experimenters say they still know very little about their antihydrogen atoms. They say that in the spring, they hope to train a laser on the antihydrogen to make a preliminary measurement of the atom's spectrum so that it can be compared to regular hydrogen.

"Any measurement would be interesting because we know essentially nothing about it," Dr. Hangst said.
    What do you think about this? I think that the future that Gene Roddenberry (if I spell it right) imagined isn't that far away. I think that we may even live a part of it. Give me your response.

Thanx, Greetz & Respect.
    Bleh.

I think that it is great that they can produce antimatter... Which in turn leads to all sorts of new and exciting developments for the human race... Ahead Warp factor 7 Mr. Sulu... Unfortunately I fear that someone, somewhere is going to pervert the ust of anti-matter for a diobolical purpose such as making abomb with a bigger bang... If the energy released is significant anti-matter bombs are not that far away... Which if anything the sci0fi writters say about anti-matter is true then the human race is in for a world of hurt if one of the things ever goes off...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

As said in the article, its the ultimate fuel. And that also makes it the ultimate bomb. I agree with you on that. I think mankind will try to explore all possibilities of AntiMatter. Even the disastrous ones. We always did that with anything we discover.
    Bleh.

Very, very interesting.
    I have previously read an article about the production of 8 anti-hydrogens by the CERN. But it was on 97 or 98 and the technique was not working very well.

Now, we will perhaps decide us to destroy the world more efficiently
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Antimatter, just as nuclear, will have its advantages and disadvantages. With all new technology comes a responsibility. Lets just hope society protects itself from its own destruction.

this is incredible work and articles about anti-matter, quarks, nutrinos, positrons etc. can keep me engrossed for ever.

i don't think our world leaders are starfleet material

...in a characteristic pattern: the antiproton into a spray of lighter particles called pions, and the positron producing a flash of gamma rays.

Gamma radiation is the most penetrating and destructive form of radiation known to man. Gamma radiation is able to travel many meters in air and pentrate most materials - including many centimeters into human tissue.

The creation of anti-matter in the lab is neither for good or for evil, its simply to help understand the nature of the universe. however it winds up being used can not be a perversion of the intention of its creators because they have no intention. except pure science. Its real world usefullness sounds more like a weapon than a vacation to orion. Do we really need to know the nature of the universe at any expense. When you consider that all the answers that are discovered today will only become tomorrows folley, i don't think so.

i think studies like this should wait for a more enlighteneed time. energies like those of the big-bang should not be accessible to the likes of OBL, saddam and bush.

Albert Einstein and murphys law

http://www.doug-long.com/einstein.htm

But bombs were not what Einstein had in mind when he published this equation. Indeed, he considered himself to be a pacifist. In 1929, he publicly declared that if a war broke out he would "unconditionally refuse to do war service, direct or indirect... regardless of how the cause of the war should be judged." (Ronald Clark, "Einstein: The Life and Times", pg. 428). His position would change in 1933, as the result of Adolf Hitler's ascent to power in Germany. While still promoting peace, Einstein no longer fit his previous self-description of being an "absolute pacifist".

"Prof. Albert Einstein... said that he was sure that President Roosevelt would have forbidden the atomic bombing of Hiroshima had he been alive and that it was probably carried out to end the Pacific war before Russia could participate." ("Einstein Deplores Use of Atom Bomb", New York Times, 8/19/46, pg. 1). Einstein later wrote, "I have always condemned the use of the atomic bomb against Japan."

...and if the queen had balls she'd be king

by the way great article...thanks!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I'm not much of a physicist (as should be apparent from this post ) and this may be a retarded question, but I've always wondered..... if matter and antimatter annihilate each other on contact, what do they use to contain the antimatter particles?

I agree with 4MidgetHitmen that we'll see antimatter bombs LONG before we see any starships. It's the nature of humans.

"You know, your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity in trying to destroy itself." Doctor Who, Remembrance of the Daleks
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Originally posted here by problemchild
    I agree with 4MidgetHitmen that we'll see antimatter bombs LONG before we see any starships. It's the nature of humans.
    Yes, I agree. Maybe nostradamus was just 15 years off?
    Bleh.

Originally posted here by problemchild
    I'm not much of a physicist (as should be apparent from this post ) and this may be a retarded question, but I've always wondered..... if matter and antimatter annihilate each other on contact, what do they use to contain the antimatter particles?

"You know, your species has the most amazing capacity for self-deception, matched only by its ingenuity in trying to destroy itself." Doctor Who, Remembrance of the Daleks

Simple....A magnetic Field

Simple....A magnetic Field

actually its not

Once an antiproton and positron have joined forces, the resulting antihydrogen atom is electrically neutral and thus no longer caged by the electrical fields in the trap.

at this point nothing can contain them
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”