Thread: free computer science course !!!

free computer science course !!!

Anything you want to learn is available on the internet. We all know that. but a complete computer science course on line for free...holy Sh*t!

Now thanks too $11 million in grants from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology will be making its entire curriculum free for all on the internet.

talk about your giant leap for mankind. You can't get a degree with this but you sure could learn allot and even get a jump on things before you enter school.

OCW plans to publish their first wave of courses on September 30, 2002. Sample courses will be included from the following academic departments:

Anthropology
    Biology
    Chemical Engineering
    Chemistry
    Civil and Environmental Engineering
    Earth, Atmospheric, and Planetary Sciences
    Economics
    Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
    History
    Linguistics and Philosophy
    Management
    Mathematics
    Mechanical Engineering
    Ocean Engineering
    Political Science
    Urban Studies and Planning

within 10 years, over 2000 MIT courses will be available on the MIT OCW website.

for more details or to stay informed:

http://web.mit.edu/ocw/#updates
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

"Mechanical engineering" , lol, that's for me. Thanks Tedob1
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

even so i'm already taking a comp. sci. course it's really good to have more resources and learn as much as it's possible, so thanks for the post it was very informative 8).

Thanks,
    Bug_
    -Mamma... Mamma... I want to let school !!! - kid
    -Why my dear? - Mom
    -Because i heard in television that some guy was killed because he knew to much!!!-Kid

Geez, Ted, something like this would even work for an over the hill antique like me. With the courses and the recommended reference material, you can get an education for free. No degree availability (yet), but for the younger people here, think of the possibilities. They'd have a major leg up when they started college. For me it would be a way to learn how dumb I really am, and maybe improve myself.

If this takes off, I'll bet within a decade, some kind of degree will be offered.

i agree chuck a test of your knowledge in any subject can be taken now for credits. if MIT came out with a test based on their free online courses in might not be as good as a degree earned on campus but it would sure mean a lot.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

That's my sole regret *now.* I didn't take advantage of college when I had the opportunity. Now, I'm interested and I'm 200 miles roundtrip from the nearest one. This thing is like a godsend. At 56 yrs old, I'm not sure what I could ever do with the knowledge, but it doesn't hurt to have.

Although you can't get a degree,you can save a lot of money on certifications.For instance,Smart Certify charges around $5000 to take both the A+ and MCSE courses.I don't know about the MCSE,because that's still a little way off for me,but you can take the A+ test at Sylvan for around $250.If you already know enough to pass it that is.I think this is a great thing the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation and the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have done.This is a gigantic breakthrough in the release of free information on the net.I have a feeling that this will start a standard for most if not all reputable universitys to do the same.It will also allow for huge advances in the overall technical knowledge of the world as a whole.WOW amazing
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

im doing computer science at uni next year neway, bugger...
    Guess Who\'s Back - Eminem

GreekGoddess
    Eventually maybe they'll at least offer something like ITCrunch.com where you can at least print out course completion certificates when you're done.

Too cool.