Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on port scanning

Port scanning is a reconnaisance technique used to gain information to be used to later gain unauthorised access......where I honestly think by your post that you are more curious than malicious, a 'target' company may not quite see it the same. Should you do as nebulus mentioned and screw up and cause a DoS or probe a bit deeper out of curiosity. You may be facing prosecution, many more companies have security policies that create a basis for legal action against network intrusion. Those banners about unauthorised use and prosecution are there to create such a basis and not just scarecrows.

Best thing would be to leave it alone or just play on your own network if you have one. "I pressed the wrong key your honour" ain't much of a defense
    do unto others before they do unto you

Rvf500:
    "I pressed the wrong key your honour" ain't much of a defense
    Heh, you would be amazed what a good lawyer could do...Actually seen people get out of being prosecuted for breaking into a system, because the banner said 'Welcome'... ::

But you are exactly right, far better to avoid the situation entirely than hope you get a good lawyer and a lenient judge...

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

lol neb.....yep....people are changing their banners for just that reason...some smart arsed lawyer did that....funnily I just read that today
    do unto others before they do unto you