KDE Vs. GNOME

Thread: KDE Vs. GNOME

KDE Vs. GNOME

KDE Vs. GNOME

http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/1464901

Red Hat wants to configure both the KDE and GNOME desktop environments to look and behave in a similar fashion -- a goal that a sizeable camp in the Linux community sees as an important step in the operating system's maturation, and one that both KDE and GNOME developers have been pursuing through www.freedesktop.org

But some members of the KDE community, fueled by bad feeling stemming from KDE's history with Red Hat, took immediate issue with Red Hat's plans, arguing that Red Hat was removing functionality from the KDE desktop, and would also negatively affect KDE's performance by replacing major KDE applications in the default menus with generic terms (like Web Browser) that run non-KDE applications (like Mozilla, as opposed to KDE's native Konqueror). This, they argued, heavily affected KDE's performance because the non-native applications require sizeable shared libraries in addition to KDE's shared libraries. However, it is important to note that the native KDE applications were not removed in Null; they just aren't in the default menus.

This sounds like MS and MAC whats this world coming to?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I heard red hat was going to make one interface instead of having 2 options. Maybe they revised it, still, I don't like the idea at all.

thats what this is all about, nothings been removed it just dosn't appear in the main menu
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

kind of like Microsoft's way of appeasing the government by finally allowing you to "remove" IE and other M$ programs, when in fact it just removes the shortcuts.........
    The radiance of ignorace in a world of nothingness and all of this time your pestilence has created nothing but uselessness

What can I say? It's all GPL'ed software, so Red Hat can do whatever they want with it. If the projects want to control how people modify the software, they need to release it under a different license.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

SuSE already added the KDE apps to GNOME and the other way around.

But still, RedHat wants to commonize their view of linux and I don't think that's a good idea..

Linux: By the ppl, for the ppl....
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Unhappy

RedHat IS the microsoft of Linux, only United Linux can save us now...
    Guess Who\'s Back - Eminem

RedHat has been pushing GNOME for a while now. I think its too early to say if one X window is better then the other. I've read some good things about GNOME2 in linux magazine and am looking forward to playing around with it in the new distro of mandrake 9.0.

Hi,
    I think I like KDE and Gnome, Enlightenment, and Windowmaker being separate but with compatibility the way they are now. For example, I generally use KDE, but I prefer some non-KDE apps, e.g., Mozilla Mail, Galeon. Red Hat can do what they want to do, and I will check it out. But I think the genius of Linux is choice. Of course, if Red Hat monkeys around too much, I'm free to choose another distro .
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

wow ...can this be can, Red Hat be and act just like micro$$$$$.I cant beleave this , I use linux for the freedom for the simple fact that we dont have somebody doing this...but your right monsterman
    RedHat IS the microsoft of Linux, only United Linux can save us now...
    well Im happy that I've been using Mandrake.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]