Creating a language

Thread: Creating a language

Creating a language

I was wondering how you can create a programming language and what steps you would take.

Thanks and AO is great to be part of

Guess Who\'s Back - Eminem

The Iceman Cometh
    Wow. Talk about a huge undertaking. Anyway, the first steps would be to familiarize yourself with an already existing programming language (so you know what to do and what not to do). Next, take a few classes, specifically assembly language, digital architecture, compilers, operating systems, programming languages, linguistics and software development. With those, you should have an understanding of what it would take to create a new language and how to write a compiler to compile the programs you write into executables. I'm sure that's not what you were looking for, but, honestly, that's only the tip of the ice-burg if you want to write your own programming language. It's a lot of work and you have to have a lot of background before you can even get started.

EDIT: If you really are serious about undertaking such a project, let me know and I can offer you some titles for some books which may help you get started. Honestly, though, unless you are an expert with computers and programming, or you have a degree (preferably a Master's) in a subject such as Computer Science or Computer Engineering, I wouldn't suggest trying. You may be able to find some stuff on Google for this, but it'll be nearly impossible to do if you don't have the background necessary.

Hm, I looked on Google and found this:

You might be interested in

Compiler Construction

Niklaus Wirth
    ISBN 0-201-40353-6

Written by the inventor of Pascal, Modula-2 and Oberon comes this book on creating a unique compiler method called "recursive descent" using Oberon. Mr Wirth develops a subset of Oberon called Oberon-0 in the book and covers creating a working compiler from the ground up (disk included). If you are like me and compiler theory interests you and you don't know C or C++ then this book is well worth a go.
    Here is more info on the guy:

The inventor of C++:

Perhaps you can e-mail them and ask how they went about inventing a programming language. From what I read so far, it looks like no easy task. Good Luck!