Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with unknown virus

I didn't try new keyboard drivers unfortunately, and I have already formatted and reinstalled all the software. It definitely looked like a non-keyboard related problem, as towards the end it also started to insert strings like 'ZONE' - crazy stuff. Thanks for the suggestion anyway

-toad

weired Ok, certainly gives the impression of a form of malware...

ok 2 bad I was so late in replying..

Cheers
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi,

Well before looking for viruses, are you sure that the keyboard is working well. Laptop will do such a thing if any liquids have been spilled on it.

What i would do, is connect an external keyboard to the PS/2 port and see if it's still happening while using the external keyboard only. If so, you can eliminate the keyboard itself and concentrate on the software part of it.

Good luck.

Clesius.

You didn't mention what version of MS Office she was running, but be aware that Office XP comes speech enabled. If she has a microphone installed, the office application will listen for a voice and interpret sounds and therefore insert random text into the speech enabled fields. I ran into this problem with my machine and thought I was going crazy.

If this starts happening again, you may want to turn off speech recognition, if she has office xp.