Low cost Linux comps.

Thread: Low cost Linux comps.

Post Low cost Linux comps.

I got this in my Email,and thought it might interest a few of you.It sounds like a good deal if you're looking to get a few more computers at your place of business,but don't have a ton of money to throw around.I imagine they'll probably lack a little on the performance end,but you don't need a top of the line box for most business applications.Anyway decide for yourselves.

SUN'S LOW-PRICED LINUX SYSTEMS FOR CORPORATE USE
    In its continuing battle against Microsoft for the PC desktop marketplace,
    Sun soon will be offering inexpensive Linux-based machines targeted for
    call centers other corporate environments that require a limited set of
    features. A statement from Sun says, "The primary motivator for enterprise
    customers will be reduction in costs and freedom from Microsoft." The
    systems (called the "Mad Hatter" at Sun) will cost about $1,000, including
    monitor, and will be sold in lots of 100 along with a computer server and a
    services fee. (Reuters/San Jose Mercury News 18 Sep 2002)

Here's the link
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/4103998.htm

This is interesting. However, I must say that they should probably come down a little more on the price to get people interested. Alot of companies lease their equipment these days so it may take a bit more to entice them. It's a good idea, but probably still hard to swallow for a company that's so used to Windows.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Computer Forensics
    Sun also provides low cost solaris machines, in the form of the sunblade 100. they are right around the $1,000 mark. Their netra X-1 rackmount servers are also around that ballpark.( I actually think they changed the name to sunfire v-100 now)
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Banned
    I like the idea of selling these Linux machines for cheap (of course, who wouldn't?) but 1000 bucks is a bit steep unless the hardware is kicking pretty good. Also, it says you can only buy in lots of 100, and most "small businesses" don't have 100,000 dollars to kick out on new computers just because they're 100 bucks cheaper than one they might buy in a BestBuy.

I think that’s a great deal...sun makes some of the best hardware and Linux well we know Linux is the best os right now. I would get the system if I had the money. The mesa labs at my school are using sun workstations and servers. It would be cool to have one at home to use to do my biding.
    [glowpurple]A_420_hacker_24::.\"A man without a computer is just a man, a man with a computer is a Admin\" ... \"If its not 4:20 on your clock, it\'s time to change the time\"..:Quotations from Larry Wall:.
    \"I think you didn\'t get a reply because you used the terms \"correct\" and \"proper\", neither of which has much meaning in Perl culture. :-) \"
    [/glowpurple]

i agree with Jehnny, this only illustrates the un-affordability of sun machines for small biz. unless you had mission critical needs that required *nix any small biz could spend 600+- and only have to buy one and have full functionality (as windows goes).
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Computer Forensics
    hrm I must be invisible.....
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust