Thread: Counter Hack

Thumbs up Counter Hack

Hey to all my fellow Security Newbies! When I first started my quest for a position in this field, there were a few books that helped me tremendously to get a grasp. One of these was Counter Hack by Ed Skoudis. Now, I found this to be extremely well written. It was my first Ed Skoudis book, but I hear that others written by him or great also. This book lays it all out for you in simple terms. Ed goes over the basics and even takes you step-by-step through the stages of a hack. There are even examples of hacking scenarios, and how they were detected. This book was great. I could hardly put it down (My wife and I argued a couple times about this). I guess because it was all so new to me, and I was just excited to learn new and interesting things. He explained the scenarios and uses of various tools and tricks of the trade in a manner that made it easy to learn. What made it even better was the fact that he goes over how the "Black Hat" comprimises the victims' systems and with what tools - and how to use them -, but then gives a defense/countermeasure for the attack. I am going to stop now, because I'm starting to drool...j/k... Am I a geek or what?...you should see me in the bookstore...my wife refuses to go...Anyway, this is a must-read for newbies. I may have a few others I'd like to tell you all about. I hope that you enjoy this one, and if you already read it, tell me what you thought of it.

Peace.

I agree about how reading books will realy help, but I, myself, liked the hacking exposed books better. It all depends on how far you are in the computer world.
    \"keep your friends close, your enemys closer, and your administrator closest.\"

Thank you. Very useful for newbies. (like me)
    ERROR: No Keyboard Detected
    Press F1 to continue....

Yeah, Mr. T, everyone has prefences according to the author's style and the information covered in the book. I liked the Hacking Exposed books as well, but I felt like mixing it up a little since those books are already very well known. Maybe you could write a review on Hacking Exposed? Take care.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I'm itching to buy a good hacking/security book but I have a limited budget and there are some good choices.
    What are the prices of the two books mentioned above??
    Thanks

I bought the counter hack video training course on CD-ROM and loved it. It shows you not only how to compile tools (ex sniffers, password crackers, scanners, rootkits etc) but also how to use them. It's not as complete as his book but if you're a visual learner this may be for you. It covers all aspects of an attack and I would recommend it to anybody.

LoGiK,
    Go to half.com and search for the books there. I have bought a lot of computer security books from there for a fraction of the price.

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Originally posted here by LoGiK
    I'm itching to buy a good hacking/security book but I have a limited budget and there are some good choices.
    What are the prices of the two books mentioned above??
    Thanks
    I have Hacking Exposed (third ed.) and love it! The third edition includes a cd! I bought it new for $49.99. There are probably better ways to purchase this. Try half.com.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery