Thread: Trillian 0.73 & 0.74 IRC bug

Hi mom!

Trillian 0.73 & 0.74 IRC bug

Securiteam reports that Lance Fitz-Herbert found another bug in Trillian.

This bug is in the IRC subsystem of Trillian. Some IRC-servers request that you identify yourself through a IDENT server. Trillian is able to run such server. This part, the IDENT server, is bugged.

If you are running a trillian IDENT server (which keeps on running after the logging-on proces) and someone connects to it (port 113) and sends 418 bytes to it (or more), Trillian crashes.

I checked my Trillian (.74) and found the IDENT-server disabled. I do not remember turning it off, so there's a good chance it's turned off by default (in which case you're safe). Could someone verify? You can look at your IDENT settings in the 'ident'-tab of the IRC connection manager, bottom-left corner.

Related links:
    SecuriTeam's warning (including source code)
    Security.nl article (in Dutch)
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Do you know what I need to input to use trillion with antonline irc? I am not real savvy with IRC.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Hi mom!
    server: irc.antionline.com
    channel: #generalchitchat
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Its disabled by default on mine...

I've found a bit of an annoying problem in trillian irc as well, but I don't know if its just my install...

When right click on a link to open up the context menu so you can choose to open it in a new browser, if the chat scrolls (ie, someone types something) as your clicking the link, trillian will crash out.... I can replicate it reasonably, but its a matter of timing...

Anyone wanna check that one out?
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Thanks Guss, I got it working just fine...in time Matty, see you in IRC.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?