We have been using this Boot Disk around the office for a year or so now, and I would like to bring it to the attention of all Network Administrators.

The Tool Is: Offline NT Password & Registry Editor

What it Does:

-> This is a utility to (re)set the password of any user that has a valid (local) account on your NT system, by modifying the crypted password in the registrys SAM file.
-> You do not need to know the old password to set a new one.
-> It works offline, that is, you have to shutdown your computer and boot off a floppydisk. The bootdisk includes stuff to access NTFS partitions and scripts to glue the whole thing together.
-> Note: It will now also work with SYSKEY, including the option to turn it off!

Why Use It?

NT stores it's user information including crypted versions of the passwords in a file called 'sam', usually found in \winnt\system32\config. This file is a part of the registry, in a binary format previously undocumented, and not easily accessible. But thanks to a German(?) named B.D, I've now made a program that understands the registry. As far as I know, Microsoft provides no way of changing the password if you cannot log in as someone with appropriate privileges, except restoring the registry files from the rescuefloppy.

-> You don't forget passwords?
-> You never get boxes to admin when someone quits suddenly?
-> Your vendor delivers a preconfigured system to you, but never have "freak" accidents and lose the password they've set on it?
-> If so, what are you doing reading this?? Go read propaganda from your favourite software vendor instead.

Where to get the product? http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/