DOS or LINUX help

Thread: DOS or LINUX help

DOS or LINUX help

I need a very light weight GUI for either DOS or LINUX. Something like seal or Wintix but ‘usable’ and as if that’s not enough to ask for it should hopefully be free.

I have some low end machines im restoring. Freedos or linux can run on these (obviously) but they can’t support a GUI like GNOME. Arachne works fine for the browser, as does bobcat but id like these machines to have a little more functionality than just that.

I could get by with writing a menu system but a gui would be nice
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

heh, Im prolly gonna get some anti's for this, but, Windows 3.1 was a great GUI for DOS.... you can probably find some install disks for free as well, or at least, pretty cheap.....

IchNiSan i agree with you, for this type of mach its hard to beat. these manhines arn't going to be for me so i'd like to stay away from 're-allocated' software. Not that it realy matters. i don't think the MS police watch 3.x too much. just gp

i dont know if you've seen qube, wintix or seal, but they really look great. trouble is you can't run any program, from inside them, thats not compiled with them. I got a freedos port of mc but thats really not for those who aren't that computer literate.

thanks!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

The GUI I used to use on my old 386 was QuikMenu III, which is even more lightweight than Win3.1 and (if I remember correctly) can run any DOS program. I don't think it is free, but it is so old I'm sure you will be able to find a copy for free somewhere. You can see it's home page here:

http://www.neosoftware.com/qm.html

-toad

powertoad5000 thats exactly what i was looking for.

now ill find out if it works on freeDOS, it should.

thank you!