During my short time here with AO, I have seen many linux newbie questions. I have also posted a few myself. One thing that I have learned - especially after it was reiterated on a couple of occasions - is that I could learn this OS best by "just doing it." And so, I tackled a project that would allow me to gain valuable experience and force me to learn at least enough to get the job done. My point is this - the advice that I was given me here and by others was good advice to say the least. Hands-on has proven to be the best method of learning in this case just as others. The problem with learning a new OS is just that - it's new. For many, this is a terrifying experience. My recommendation - get a copy of a few distros and load'em up. Play with it. Of course, you will have to familiarize yourself with a few basic commands. There's definitely research involved, but the best way is to just do it! I can give one recommendation if you are used to a Windows environment - get a copy of Linux for Windows NT/2000 Administrators The Secret Decoder Ring. This book was great! Probably the best peace of advice - read, play, read, play, read, and keep reading...oh, and I can't forget asking questions here on AO! I have received a lot of great advice and good tips. Don't underestimate your fellow AOers! Take some time to do a search on the Home page. You will come across a lot of good threads here. Use the resources available.

To the oldheads: I felt like this could possibly help those that are feeling discouraged about learning this great OS that we have grown to appreciate. I know I was a bit intimidated, but I'm over it now...