RAm Leak Help

Thread: RAm Leak Help

RAm Leak Help

A friend is using Win ME and is getting ram leak while he surfs the net. I searched google and microsoft to no avail, at least that I could understand. I have been told that this requires a download from microsoft but couldn't find one. There are all sorts of programs out there to download, but I am not sure that it isn't something more simple. I have Win ME, unfortunately, and never have a problem with system resources.

After a bit more research it seems that it would be an individual program causing the problem. Does this sound like it is correct?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I would recommend visiting http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp but without more details I am unable to provide more information.
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

I did look for a windows update as I mentioned.

What info do you need?

The OS is WIN ME, the problem is system resources being depleted while surfing due to ram leak. My only problem is whether to download a patch or whether it is a configuration problem that someone has heard of.

Google searches reveal it is usually a program not windows itself, hard to believe, that cause the problem.

I ask the question here because with the vast knowledge available at AO, I figured someone may have already dealt with this.

I had him take out a number of programs running on startup that he doesn't need and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Do you know what other programs are running when this happens? Which version of the browser? Is it possible to end all executing programs except for the browser? I've never used ME so I do not know if it has an NT style Taskmanager or win 9* taskmanager. How long is the browser running prior to the mem issue? What is total up time? If its an win9* task manager you moght be able to use pslist from http://sysinternals.com to see what else is ruinning and kill other process.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Originally posted here by dspeidel
    Do you know what other programs are running when this happens? Which version of the browser? Is it possible to end all executing programs except for the browser? I've never used ME so I do not know if it has an NT style Taskmanager or win 9* taskmanager. How long is the browser running prior to the mem issue? What is total up time? If its an win9* task manager you moght be able to use pslist from http://sysinternals.com to see what else is ruinning and kill other process.

Cheers,
    -D
    Thanks greatly, I did exactly that, had him eliminate all programs and run them individually to see which is sucking his memory. I have no idea what version but I told him to give that a try and see if he can narrow it down some!