Linux-Mandrake 7.0 questions

Thread: Linux-Mandrake 7.0 questions

Question Linux-Mandrake 7.0 questions

I just installed Linux on my other computer 133 Mhz, pentium, 128mb ram. piece of doo doo.

I need info on how to connect to the internet, I have the computer running to a Linksys router connected to a toshiba pcx1100u cable modem. I checked my network card and it was reconized by my linux box, but im clueless to setting all the IP's and stuff.

Also looking for all the command line commands.
    If this was in another post, I am sorry, I searched most of them and didn't find the answer I was looking for.
    [glowpurple]Ctrl Alt Delete is the answer to lifes problems.[/glowpurple]

still needing help

Hint: Ask a specific question...
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

You can start with 'man ifconfig' and 'man route' and a good Google search.

If you have DHCP configured on your router, you should be able to 'dhcp eth0' and that should be good enough.

If you have static IP addresses on your network, you can enter the paramaters by hand with ifconfig and route. Assuming you have a class C network:

/sbin/ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.xxx broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask 255.255.255.0
    /sbin/route add -net default gw 192.168.1.1 netmask 0.0.0.0 metric 1
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Do you have KDE or Gnome installed for mandrake 7.0? I haven't used mandrake 7.0 for while but there should be an icon on your desktop for mandrake control center. When you launch that program it should give you an option for "network and Internet". Does it list a wizard or give you any other options? If it gives you the option for automatic IP then click that.

I think its my modem, problemchild I did what you told me and it worked because I accidentally set the route to my wifes IP and she lost internet access, so when I changed it to its own IP, I couldn't connect to the internet but she got back her access. So I have come to the conclusion that my Modem is only for windows systems only.

Wait.... are you using a network card or a modem?

If you're connecting to a Linksys router, you shouldn't be using a modem at all. If your network card is properly detected by Linux, then ifconfig and route should do all you need. Try 'ifconfig eth0' and see if your eth0 interface is up. If it is, try pinging your router. If all of that works, your problem is certainly a software configuration issue.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Null

You could try a later version of Linux ... Mandrake 8.2/Red Hat 7.3 with a lightweight window manager for the older machine, might find that your hardware is supported by these later distro's.

You can also go here http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/howtos.html and see if any of these Howto's assist.

PP