Thread: Test Virus File

Test Virus File

Where can I find a file to test my antivirus software? I heard about it a while back, or what about copies of known viruses in inactive form? I would like to run some test samples against a few anti virus vendors to see which does best against my samples, so we can decide which is the fastest, cleanest, and easiest to use in our offices. I guess instead of taking opinions we want to find out for ourselves.

The most common test virus string is called "Eicar.com". A google search should provide you with a trusted download site.

Cheers:
    DjM

Eicar Anti-Virus test file can be found at this adress: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

I believe there are also some 'neutered' virii right here on AO. I am not sure how they will work out in a test environment.

You can check here:
    http://anticode.antionline.com/downl...=virii&sortby=

Cheers:
    DjM

Re: Test Virus File

i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Originally posted here by DjM
    I believe there are also some 'neutered' virii right here on AO. I am not sure how they will work out in a test environment.
    Thank you everyone, this is exactly what I was looking for. I would also like to know more about this "neutered" virii. Will the be found as the virus they are w/ the anti-virus software without carrying a malicious payload?

I have never downloaded one to test with, so I am not sure I can answer that. Maybe JP has more info on the Virii listed here, or maybe one of the other members can be of help.

Cheers:
    DjM