Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WINE in VMWARE software

WINE in VMWARE software

Hi,...
    I've just tried VMWARE 3.2 software for LINUX...for some reason.
    I wanna know what is the "different" between..... using VMWARE software to have dual booting OSes (LINUX and XP) and using of manual partition to have dual booting OSes without VMWARE software.

#This VMWARE software was good but..when.. I've tried to play game in my XP and I've tried some of 3D application (XP is my guest operating system in my LINUX )...that game and 3D not working very well....ughhhhhhhhhhh.
    I've been thinking..maybe if I can make configuration...or bridging of using WINE that "games/3D" will work???. I might need expert suggestion to play around with WINE...hmm..any advised??.

# I've play around with this VMWARE software..and this software was amazing I can installed 3 OSes without problem...{ I've already have dual OSes(RH LINUX,XP) before I've installed VMWARE In my LINUX and after I 've got VMWARE...I tried install MANDRAKE LINUX..in my RH LINUX....and it's works....that's..perfect..}.

# Without VMWARE software to have multiple OSes its's good to..I don't have problem with "games or 3D application".
    But the the think is...I have to choose..which OS I wanna use..which is a little bit problem..I have to go to bootloader(GRUB) to choose OS, but anyway this is the good way to have multiple OSes without buying VMWARE software.

So now I have to do "homework" to make configuration of WINE in LINUX.....and I hope someone out there..can help me out...
    Not an image or image does not exist!

What's different between using vmware & a dual-boot solution? With dual-boot the os has direct access to the hardware which is faster and more accurate. Vmware on the other side creates a virtual os to simulate harware functions. It's kind of a 'software-hardware'. It's slower beacuse the software simulating hardware takes up processor time. It's less accurate because it's a difficult task to make a simulation of the hardware. You can imagine the vmware programmers had a tough task creating a virutal hardware platform that has to be the same all the time, although the hardware can vary very much.

That's the reason for your troubles with 3D gaming also. AFAIK the abstraction of the 3D-accelleration cards are very difficult for the programmers. I could be wrong, but from what I know it doesn't work very well in either vmware or wine. Heard of Lindows? They tried to make this work but couldn't do it. It was just too complex.

So.... Stick with the dual-boot. It gives you better performance and less hassle with configuration.
    ---
    proactive

VMWare 3.2

Since the topic of VMWare is noted...I download the eval version of VMWare 3.2 Workstation for a Win2K Pro machine that will *hopefully* have as a guest OS a .Net Server.

When I go to install the exe, I get an error message of "Unable to install InstallShield Runtime Scripting." Any suggestions on how to resolve? I will be looking shortly as the various machine logs, but don't hold out much hope on finding answers in their manual.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

yupe ..proactive.. I heard that lindows..I've tried that but not as good as VMWARE or WINLIN4 from netraverse. And definitely agreed with you I'll stick with dual OSes partition, mmm I just doing my research about that VMWARE, but I'm still like VMWARE too..(part of that game/3D problem) that software is fantastic for application.
    And I'm still figure out that WINE configuration somehow...

Bowlfreak...>> are you following the manual and instruction for that installation?..mm you shouldn't have problem with that...I guessed
    Uninstall VMWARE..and reinstall VMWARE..and try again hope that'll works....

VMWare

Can't even get it to install...

Signed off as me, signed on as domain admin - same error message. Checking the log files, there is an entry for the MSI Installer (Event ID 1014 - Windows Installer Proxy information not correctly registered). As I attempt to install VMWare 3.2 (version 2230), here is the error message I receive:

"InstallShield.
    1607 - Unable to install InstallShield Scripting Runtime."
    there you are.\"

My 2 cents on VMware: It work phenominally well if your box has enough horsepower. Much more convienient and functional then win4lin, and win4lin requires you to patch your kernel!. 2 major caveats w/ VMware however. 1. It only supports soundblaster soundcards 2. There is no 3D acceleration, so lots of games are out.
    Those issues aside, for most things, it's really nice to be able to run most any windows app right alongside my Linux ones.
    \"Now it\'s time to erase the story of our bogus fate. Our history as it\'s portrayed is just a recipe for hate!\"
    -Bad Religion

VMWare

Don't want to run Linux on the machine now (I have a spare machine for that). An older laptop that isn't used will be erased and loaded with Linux...

The machine I'm using now has 512MB RAM and is a P3 1GHz machine, so horsepower and memory isn't a problem. The problem, to me, it seems is with the VMWare .msi file.

So, I sit and wait to hear back while the 30 day eval ticks by...
    there you are.\"

Hmm..bowlfreak how about try againn to..download that VMWARE it might be..one of that file from VMWARE corupted while you downloading..sometimes it happens..
    That's like you download software from website...sometimes you'got corrupted or stalled.
    So hoppely if you can get clean download .. it'll work

I will give it another shot. Thanks sweet.
    there you are.\"

I'm not sure if this is your problem or not, but you may need version 2 of the windows installer.. here is a link..

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...=top&ordinal=8