Thread: Experts slam cybersecurity plan

Experts slam cybersecurity plan

and my final post... (im bored today:-/)

PALO ALTO, California (AP) -- Computer security experts denounced a White House panel's eagerly awaited strategy on defending the nation's critical systems from cyberattacks, assailing Wednesday's report for not being tough enough.
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne....ap/index.html
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Homeland Plan

The government is doing a bit of a spin on the plan...when the plan was first leaked to the media and experts, it was originally a "draft" version of the plan to be adopted. Now that the security industry experts have blasted parts of the plan for being "too weak" or "not having enough teeth in it," the government now says the plan merely acts as a discussion point for the next 60 or 90 days..."parts of the plan are open to discussion."
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

What do people think that the government could do to secure cyberspace. I think that about all that can be done is to put up a sign that says "Enter at your own risk." It is not right for anyone to expect the government to legislate computer security. It is not right for people to expect the government to force developers to adhere to an arbitrary standard for security. Who is it that can say difinitively that a computer is either secure or not.

I work with some network admins that think the only way to secure a computer is to turn it off. In reality that isn't practical, but it is true. Any time you connect to a network there will always be a vulnerability. I don't see any amount of legislation changing that.

The same government who cannot find a way to secure their own hardware (missing laptops with confidential information - by the 100s) nor keep their systems updated and secure (see recent troubles with Dept. of Interior)...expect us to "adopt" their version of security as a guideline for securing our own home systems and the computer systems of the companies we work for??

And for private companies to blindly dump private information into a government-sponsored system that is headed by various members of the security community - one of whom could be an employee of a rival company? I don't think so...
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"