Thread: Windows Promblem

Exclamation Windows Promblem

i start scandisk than if i do anythin i get some illgil thing about shell.dll and i cant do crap if that happens i mean i cant even shutdown with out usein CTRL ALT DELETE i cant even have scan disk start scanin i am usein win 98 se plzzz help
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][

I have a some questions about your post since it's alittle confusing. What exactly are you doing when you receive this error? What is the exact error you're receiving? And what exactly are you trying to do? Are you only trying to do a scandisk, are you using windows to do it or are you using 3rd party software?

We need a little more clarification on this.
    The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good. - Ann Landers

ok well nope i i usein my compo right here with win 98 no 3rd party stuff

what am i doin well anythin from click the start buttion to tryin to chage the drive to scan hope that helps some

i got another problem to here it is lol

ok i have a modem problem

ok no i can connet and u know it runs fine for soem time than i get a dead stop where it just wont do anything at all i mean like instao frezo and it stays liek that for about 30secs or up to 2 mins and than some times dissconnects ok i am usein a

zoom modem v.92 with call waitin my isp does support v.92
    i usein win98 (duh)

if u guys dont got any ideas illl just get a v.90 modem old things have never failed me hehe *i have called myy isp thay have no idea thay say its the modem*

cyha
    [shadow]I Have Not Failed I Have Just Fond 10,000 Ways It Will Not Work[/shadow][

All right. If I understand this correctly your are trying to run a scandisk and when doing so you are trying to use another application at the same time. The OS Type is WIN 98 SE. Now, most illegal operation error messages have a details section. The contents of that details section is going to be your saving grace here.
    Next time you get your illegal operation, click the details. The output of the details will read a little something along the lines of this : Something has caused an invalid page fault in shell.dll.....

The whole content of the error message is what you want. When you get it, try a search for "Something has caused an invalid page fault in shell.dll" (changing out what's in quotes for the text of your error) at either Microsoft's Support Site, or my personal favorite, Google Groups.
    I'm sure you are not the first to have this issue, but without the details it is hard to assist. These two sites should have some information concerning your error. If this should prove unfruitful, the number for help with MS products is : 1-800-936-5700

As for the modem issues I don't have much experience with that in windows so much. You may want to contact the hardware vendor if it is still under warranty.

Regards, good luck, and I hope this helps.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

For your modem, have you already checked the manuafacturer's site to see if there are any updates to it. Many modems are "flash" upgradeable. There may also be new drivers out for your OS to use with this modem. If this doesn't work, then you may want to look at replacing the modem. Hopefully, it's under warranty. Hope this helps...
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

I have fixed alot of windows error mesaages like this: ( I hope It will help )

Click "start" Then "run" then type "sfc" , hit enter. This will scan for your system and other kind of files and recover them.

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

thx for the help all i did the sfc it did find some files ans fixed them and nope i am just usein scan disk useing alone no other programs at the time ill tqke a look at what u guys sayed thx all

Modem

For the Modem Problem:

If you have call waiting are you using the *70,, before your ISP's number to disable it. If not then the call waiting function will often kill your modem connection. If it is hanging even with the *70,, prefix then you could have a hardware problem (heat etc.) or a driver problem (as mentioned previously there may be a later driver out).

With the Scandisk:

If it the fsg doesn't work try running it in safe mode. If it cannot run there then your Scandisk or the associated dll is probably corrupted. If it does run there then something that is starting up may be affecting it. If this is the case us msconfig (start -> run -> msconfig) and check what is actually starting up and remove items that are redundant or un-neccessary.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"