Getting into the security industry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into the security industry

Getting into the security industry

I'm currently unemployed and trying to get into the network/internet security industry. The stuff's always been a hobby of mine, and seeing as how I need to pay the bills, figured that I might as well make a buck doing the stuff.

I've been wanting to get into networking for a while. I started at a software co. doing tech support and QA testing where they said after 6 months I could move on to any position within the company. After 2 years of hearing this BS, I decided that I had better do something because no one was going to hand me the position.

So, I left my company, and have been studying now full-time to become an MCSA. I want to show potential employees that at least I took the initiative to learn the material, and that I'm interested in it, and that I have at least a baseline knowledge of the topic. Hopefully this will get me into the industry.

I figure that I need to start with the basics. I want a systems admin position. I figure that while doing this, I can learn how to focus and deal with the security aspects of the job, and then eventually specialize in the security aspect.

I'm basically looking for advice for getting into the industry. Any tips? Suggestions? Advice?
    -Hadoob024-

so you quit your job without having one to go to and you havn't taken any cert tests.

stop smoken your logo, get real and change this first.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Aaaahhh, no. Yes I did quit my job. Yes, I'm in the process of getting certs (3/4 of the way there). Yes I have enough money to afford to be able to do this. And what's wrong with the smoking?
    -Hadoob024-

Good job on working to get the certs... as to the smokin'... Besides being illegal and a possible way to blackmail you if you get into a securtiy position it kills brain cells and decreases your ability to make good decsions... It makes you lazy to the point you can not do your job correctly... Etc, etc,etc...
    \"Nuts!\"- Commanding General 101st Airborne Division Dec 1944 in answer to German request that he surrender Bastogne during the Battle of the Bulge
    Life has a certian flavor for those who have fought and risked it all that the sheltered and protected can never experience.- John Stewart Mill
    White, Hetrosexual, Christian male. I own guns, hunt, eat meat, burn wood, and my wife wears fur... Any questions?

Many jobs require drug tests too. You'd feel like a real ass if you finally got the job, then got screwed on the drug test.

Dude, I have watched talent go to waste because of the herb. When I say this, I'm talking about a person who has/is gettingt he necessary education to get into a field (and excelling), but can't get a job because he can't stop smoking. There are alternatives ya know. And yes, while it may not immediately affect your judgement, long term use will eventually catch up to you. Well enough of that...I think you are doing a good thing getting that MCSA cert. That will give you a good baseline. Maybe you could take a course on Securing Windows 2000. I think that's one of classes M$ offers. Once you get a job as an admin, you can build from there. Hang out with the Security guys and show them that you are interested. Eventually, if you build a good enough relationship with them, they may let you work on projects and misc. tasks with them. When there is an opening, you will be a shoe-in. Also keep in mind, some companies hire people as Techs, but want them to do Admin work. Sometimes, you just have to bite the bullet and accept that you are doing admin work at a Tech salary and position, but remember that it all counts as experience on the resume. Build yourself up, and it will all work out. Oh, and last, but definitely not least, stay up with sites like this one. You will find great resources here, including career advice.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Thanks for all the advice. Just to let everyone know, I don't wake and bake and stuff like that. It's more recreation. Like if we're going out on the weekend, I'd rather smoke than drink (hangovers suck).

And as for the job thing, it does seem like everyone starts out doing admin work before moving into security directly. I guess everyone has to start somewhere, and it doesn't seem like someone is going to hand over a security job without seeing some experience performing admin work.

Does anyone know if security positions are within a group by itself, or are different security jobs like a side responsibility of most system admins? It seems like industries still haven't woken up and realized the importance of security. I guess there haven't been that many hacks into their systems to realize the importance of it. Why does it seem like companies wait till they have a problem, and then try to put a bandage on it as opposed to using some precaution to prevent most of these events from happening. Is it a lack of knowledge or funding or what?
    -Hadoob024-

For a non-tech person, it might be hard to see the direct benefits from security. Now if they get hacked, then of course their eyes will be opened, but if they haven't been exposed to that then they might not see a need for it. This is of course just ignorance on their part, but unless properly educated, these people might have a false sense of security and will be reluctant to spend on money on things like security.

I've got nothing big against social pot-smoking, but even once in a while on the weekends can screw you big time. Pot stays in your system for a while, and you might not be able to "get clean" in time for a drug test for a possible job. If I were you I'd quit. At least until you've landed a new stable job. Companies rarely drug test after the initial one.

Good luck though!

how many core exams have you taken so far. which elective/s have you selected.

nothing wrong with smoking dude as long as its not to excess, but your question screams your in dream land.

you think your going to waltz into a job as sys admin after being on the help desk. Lets say, just for arguments sake, thats possible. Their going to ask you why you left your last job. You tell them what you've said here. Without having another job to go too, what they are going to hear in this is, your probly immature and quit when you don't get your way. wether this is true or not. work as a temp while your studying.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

make sure you have a stong knowledge and basic understanding of operating systems, network hardware, and programming. without knowing these you are not giving yourself a strong foundation for being a good network administrator. if you know this stuff-stop smoking and try getting a job with the cia or nsa-i hear they are hiring these days.