Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting into the security industry

Dude, there's a difference between quitting when you don't get your way, and quitting when a work situation becomes unbearable. For your information, in our group of 20, 9 people quit within a month of me. So as you can see, I'm not "immature" and a brat that quits the first second the going gets tough.

I left mostly because the of the lack of opportunities of advancing within the company, and a lack of training. The company cut training. I was fine with that. I said that I would actually pay for my own training, and they gave me the run-around again. How can you expect me to stay at a company that lies to me every given opportunity. I don't mind working hard, I have my whole life, but the second people start lying to me about every little thing, to hell with them. And that's why I left.

And what's wrong with quitting without having something else in hand. This point you keep bringing up is not the point of my post. If I can afford to why shouldn't I? It's not like I'm the first person to ever do this.

Anyway, I'm only going to be around here for another 2 years before I move, so I wanted to get some good experience under my belt. You know, it's like this one recruiter told me, they want people who have 2-3 years of experience, not 1 year of experience repeated for 3 years. That's the main reason I left. If I'm not learning, not being recognized for the job I'm doing, and being taken for granted, why would I want to stay at the same company? And it wasn't an overnight decision. I thought it over for a couple of months. I'm not looking for people to judge me for the decisions that I've made, I'm just asking a question, and trying to get some honest answers from people that seem to know what's going on.
    -Hadoob024-

woooah dude! i said thats the way its "going to be seen", i agree with you that varied experiance is the best. thats why i suggested working as a temp while your studying. giving the reasons that you state will be more believable, (not that their not true but they must be believed), and admirable if your working while your studying.

just quiting your job because your not being appreciated for your full potential does not show allot of smarts in todays job market. the key word here is "show".

so i gather you havn't taken any tests yet. don't try studying for all four of them at once. go take them. study for one then take it, study for the next...

what if you find your study methods are wrong after taking the first test. the tests themselves might not be that tough, but the stress can wipe you out. And stop putting it off, the exam will change if you wait until you think your ready for all of them, then you'll have to start all over again.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yeah, thanks for the advice. I didn't mean to come across as I did in my previous post. Just venting. Anyways, I've already passed some of the exams. I'm done with the A+ cert, the Network+ cert (which combined can be used as the elective for the MCSA), and the Microsoft 210 exam (implementing w2k pro). All I have left is 215, which is implementing win2k server, and 218 I believe, which is managing a win2k network environment.

And to show that I've been doing stuff, I went and formed a company last year (about 10 months prior to quitting). At first I did it to keep up with my web development skills. But now, I'm showing how I set up a network at home, and have been maintaining it. Granted I'm not using the commercial sized software like most companies, but I've set up a router, got the hardware and software firewalls running. I've kept all the patches up to date, kept the anti-virus definitions up to date, etc.

I'm hoping that this initiative in setting up this company (as in I went and formally started it, applied for a license, business name and all) will show my interest and knowledge. Whaddya think?
    -Hadoob024-

Many companies in my State, from what I've seen in the want ads, require an initial drug test and then do random tests after hire, so you never know when your number will come up. Security means security, from all angles, not just computer skills.

Los Alamos and Sandia Labs, here in NM, have running ads for computer savvy people in all areas. Those jobs, though, require a "Q" clearance meaning a 12 to 16 week wait from what I last heard. The background checks are a lot tougher than in the past. Big bucks and big benefits though.

Well, I have to say that it definitely shows initiative. I've always wanted to start my own business, but I am interested in so many other things that I hardly have time to pursue "dreams." Also, it doesn't help that I lack the business skills! I just have the idea right now. Go for what you know man. Just stay focused in what you want to do, but make sure that you keep your goals in mind every step of the way. Pray, meditate, whatever you have to do...you don't want to miss your opportunity.

Take care and God Bless.
    Good luck.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

If you want to get in on the "ground floor," don't focus solely on Microsoft certification. A+ and Network+ certifications demonstrate to a prospective employer that you have demonstrated an understanding of the fundamentals and principles of computers and networking.

Best bet is to start out as a temp/contractor. The variety of positions will serve you better in the long run.
    \"No matter where you go,
    there you are.\"

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I'm hearing the temp thing. I'm actually on my way out the door to the temp agency over here. We'll see how that turns out. Until then, I'll be studying, taking exams, looking for a job, and just messing around with my home network.

As for the certifications, everything that I've learned and studied, I'm trying to apply to my home network. I want to show that I have some hands-on experience to back up the certs, and at the same time have some formal education/training to back up the hands-on experience.
    -Hadoob024-

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    I think you would be ok with leaving your last job if you can justify why you did it to the satisfaction of your interviews. Also if you show you've been productive during your time away from work it may show as a positive thing rather than a negative. A bit like taking a gap year I suppose. Having your own business can also impress a prospective employer again as long as you can justify why you no longer want to be self employed.
    I don't think many people are able to start working in infosec straight away I think most learn their trade as techs and sysadmins. I work in Infosec but I'm not nearly as much on the techinical side as many here. I work mostly on policy, procedure and auditing to make sure the tech are working as securely as they tell me they are. I work within legistalive frameworks so you may also need to remember that you will need to learn some of the legal aspecs of infosec.

As for the weed... if you are going to get tested stop early. Cannabis residue is one of hardest to get out of your system and can be found in your hair up to six months after your last smoke. It also hangs about in your blood for over a month.
    In addition if you have any family predisposition to mental disorders such as schizophrenia and depression in greatly increases the likelyhood of these developing.

Alchohol is more dangerous but it's socially acceptable to be drunk but not stoned.

maybe a reply 3 year's ago would have been better n00bs
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/