WAL*MART selling lindowsOS PCs..

Thread: WAL*MART selling lindowsOS PCs..

WAL*MART selling lindowsOS PCs..

Wow..I've got to check this one out. WAL* MART USA already selling lindowsOS PCs certified
    We don't have that one yet in AUSRALIA...
    Hmmm anyone already got it? What the different then?? that PCs already got lindowsOS certified. Is it better that microsoft certified..or mandrake certified (recently just came out on market).
    That new certification of diferrent OS getting better and better...
    I was wondering what microsoft gonna say...
    Not an image or image does not exist!

The Iceman Cometh
    In my experience, LindowsOS isn't worth the money. Spend an extra hundred bucks and get XP home installed on the machine. I played around with the last version, as well as the new, 2.0, version, and have found the same in both. It pretends to be both Windows and Linux but does a piss-poor job of being either. If you want Linux (and are unfamiliar with the environment) get Red Hat or Mandrake. Otherwise, stick with Windows. I don't think LindowsOS is going to be around too long. Walmart was actually trying to get out of the contract a few months ago for various reasons, but was unable to, due to stipulations in their contract with Lindows. So now, they're basically being forced to sell the PCs, so they're trying to make the best of it. I don't think you'll see any very-heavy advertising for the PCs, though.

AJ

oooo mann....is that what WAL*MART trying to do to LIndowsOS..hmmmm.....marketing....marketing again...
    I'm already excited microsoft got competitor for their certification pc's.
    (I'm looking forward actually to see that microsoft competitor..) hmmmmm,,,will that be interesting in five years time.....

The Iceman Cometh
    A lot of people feel that Red Hat "will be the next Microsoft." Although, techincally, this could never be possible considering Red Hat is open source and makes most of it's money on Enterprise solutions, it is taking many actions which Microsoft took in the early days as well to try to achieve a market share. Most of the people I know, but "newbies" and experienced *nix users, use Red Hat simply because of it's ease of use and installation, and the fact that nearly any *nix program has been ported to it. I believe, if anyone were to have a chance of standing up to Microsoft, it would be Red Hat if they could find a way to start bundling their OS on more computers. I know that Dell, for instance, offers Red Hat-installed workstations for businesses. If a few more computer manufacturers jumped on board and started offering Red Hat for both the home and corporate markets, I believe it could become a formidable enemy of Microsoft, especially considering the number of Windows-like and Microsoft-like applications are available for it.

AJ

Yeah, Lindows isn't really linux and it's a poor imitation of windows. If you're really after linux and aren't familiar with it, wait a bit. I've heard a lot of good things about Lycoris. Haven't actually seen it yet and don't know if it's been released.

If you don't want to wait, I agree that either Red Hat or Mandrake is the way to go. OR, you can get the computer with Lindows for about $400 with monitor and install XP onto it. I'm sure these aren't top of the line computers but at that price, why not snag one?

I got some pretty nasty negs a while back for saying I thought Lindows was a piece of crap, but I stand by everything I said in this thread.

I have always thought that Mandrake was Linux's best hope for making an impact on the desktop market, and I think Wal-Mart's deal with them will be a LOT better for everybody concerned. I'm afraid Lindows will pee in everybody's punch and ruin the support Linux is currently getting from outlets like Wal-Mart.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Lindows is just really really bad. I ended up being really annoyed with it as it never smoothly ran any of my windows programs, most of them just didn't run at all. I was very disappointed. Suffice it to say, lindows has retracted it's claim that it would be able to run any windows application, and so for that reason, it will ultimately fail. Nobody needs an OS in between windows and linux, because there are already friendly linux distros out there to do that job. Lycoris/redmond is one, there is also winlinux and a lot of other small distros that are easy to use and can be run from windows. The only thing I liked about lindows was the software library, it was a cool idea, if another major linux distro had that... it would be pretty hard to top. But still, it wasn't worth $99, not even close. So, trust me, lindows will fail, and rightly so. They had one major selling point, and they weren't able to follow through, it was a bit of a let down, but I figured as much when they had so much trouble getting ms office to run on early versions. I've played around with a few beta copies with toooo much time to spare, I gotta tell ya, never get it. It just isn't good. It doesn't have any major or significant advantage over the other proven operating systems out there.

Hey look at the bright side.If nobody wants to buy these things because the have lindows it may force Walmart to sell the comps. for a dirt cheap price.You can always replace the OS.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

gghornet > Yeah, but what if Lindows turns out to be a complete flop and gives Linux enough of a black eye that Wal-Mart decides not to carry any more Linux products? What kind of favor has Lindows done for us then? Wal-Mart is holding all the cards right now. We need them, but they don't need us.

I just don't want Lindows to end up killing Mandrake's big chance.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!