I stupidly opened a file that installed a trojan in my pc now what?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I stupidly opened a file that installed a trojan in my pc now what?

I stupidly opened a file that installed a trojan in my pc now what?

my friend send me a trojan through an email attachment and now i gota trojan in my pc....aint that some sh1t........now i cant reinstall my mcafee virus scanner.....what can i do to fix this huge problem......please help....

i installed the virus scanner and it deleted the trojan....but when i try to re install it it does not let me....it says an error that the intallation failed even do mcafee seems to work..i'm confused right now....some1 please help

may be u can try this page.
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/
    i not really good in viruses or comp but hope i help.
    good luck

What I'd suggest is to go to webattack.com http://www.webattack.com/freeware/freeware.htm and download a program from their antivirus list called ants It will scan your system and tell you if the Trojan is still there and where it, or any others might be. It won't get rid of them, I don't think anyway, but if you know it's there, you can find other Trojan specific software for free to get rid of it.

You can download a free trial of Tauscan V1.6 here:

http://www.pcw.co.uk/Download/1133792

Acording to many reviews of Anti-Trojan software It is one of the best.

Though I have never used it.

If you know the spasific name of the Trojan you can download a trojan remover for that spasific trojan, but I think Tauscan would be best.
    test

Right, as67, Tauscan would be even better. I didn't know they had a trial version available. Good idea to get something like that instead of the one I suggested.

see the other thread you posted for more detailed of the following.
    Moosoft, The cleaner.
    Regedit: hklm\software\microsoft\windows\current version\run
    take out things that you know arent supposed to be there. if you dont know, google it. if you dont know what regedit is or HKLM dont go there. on the other post I think I left out current version...
    anyway also if 98 or me, start run, msconfig, take out start up items that dont belong.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Banned
    if you have the client of the trojan try to conect to your pc the ip is 127.0.0.1 and put
    to delete the server this work in sub7 and should work whith other trojans i dont really know if this will work in your case cause i dont really like trojans

-Taste my sword-

ive also had trouble with a virus recently, managed to remove it manaully though, it was one of those replicating one you get through p2p filesharing such as kazaa etc

you could try ctrl-alt-del to get your task manager screen up and look for any strange programs that may be running in the background, if you find something with an odd name, make another post here and ask around about it or do a search for the name of the program on one of the antivirus sites, they usually have manual removal instructions for some viruses and these may be of some help for you

See if any other antivirus programs will install, and, here is some of my bad advice. When you post, you might want to post what OS you run, and people may be able to give you more detailed or helpful posts. good luck with the trojan.

The reason that Mcafee still 'works' (same for other AV scanners), is that if you try to re-install it or update it, and this process fails, then it uses the backup it took to re-instal the old original version.
    Of course, if your old original version of Mcafee has been corrupted/infected, then this won't do you much good.

You may or may not have deleted the virus/trojan - without further details it is impossible to say. If you are running WindowsME or XP then you may well be affected by the 'System restore' feature. Details of how to disable this are at http://www.mcafee.com/anti-virus/dis...em_restore.asp

The other thing you could try is to run the 'rescue disk' that you can (& should!) create from the Mcafee AV scanner. This has the advantange that it boots directly from the floppy disk (avoiding Windows), which means that if the virus/trojan has inserted itself into your Windows startup procedure, then you have a far better chance of removing it.