New Mozilla Browser (Phoenix 0.1)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mozilla Browser (Phoenix 0.1)

New Mozilla Browser (Phoenix 0.1)

Has anyone tried the new Mozilla Phoenix browser? It's supposed to be fast & light-weight, much like Opera. I haven't tried it but I'd like to get some feedback from those who have. I'm a happy Opera user with a paid for license

But Phoenix is free, and if it's good I might change. Download it here, links in the middle of the page: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/phoe...ase-notes.html

And tell me what you think!
    ---
    proactive

i've been using mozilla beta builds for a while and love them. just dowloaded and installed the new build 1.2a and i am very happy to note that the antionline ticker displays properly the first time it is loaded. previously, the ticker would only show the first half of the first letter of the posts scrolling, but if you turned it on and off, it would refresh and run fine. now i can be even lazier lol!
    i have never used opera, so i cannot compare them for you, but i definately take mozilla over IE and Netscape. mostly for the open source and new things are being added all the time.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Thanks for the advice qwerty_smith. Acutally I've tried the original Mozilla browser as it comes with Mandrake 9. It was OK but a little slow. Slower than Opera I think.

What I'm talking about is the new lightweight project based on Mozilla source, The Mozilla Phoenix browser. It's supposed to be half the size of Mozilla according to the FAQs, and hopefully a lot faster.
    ---
    proactive

I was kinda wondering why Opera sells a browser when there are so many more free out there? I have never used Opera before, am I missing something great here?

Anyway as far as the Phoenix browser goes, it's still in very early stages and when I downloaded and tested it, it looks pretty good so far except for a pesky address field not showing up in the form (perhaps this is resolution bug...I have no clue), and therefore cannot jump to anther page. Oh well.

Originally posted here by alittlebitnumb
    [B]I was kinda wondering why Opera sells a browser when there are so many more free out there? I have never used Opera before, am I missing something great here?B]
    Well, you are not forced to buy opera. It is not a trial version software, Just a banner add on the top of the browser exists in the unregistered version ( it doesn't bother you much )

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted here by alittlebitnumb
    I was kinda wondering why Opera sells a browser when there are so many more free out there? I have never used Opera before, am I missing something great here?

Anyway as far as the Phoenix browser goes, it's still in very early stages and when I downloaded and tested it, it looks pretty good so far except for a pesky address field not showing up in the form (perhaps this is resolution bug...I have no clue), and therefore cannot jump to anther page. Oh well.
    I've been using Opera since pre-5 release and I bought it when it hit 5.12. Why? Because I believe in supporting good software. Netscape USED to be good until AOL bought it out and botched the whole thing. IE was never a good browser because A: it's tied into the OS so much that a browser fault can cascade-fault your system into hanging/rebooting/dying/etc, B: it incorporates so many "neato-gee-whiz" things that are not standardized and only render well on IE browsers, and C: constantly full of holes and not being properly patched.

Opera is the following:

1: free if you don't mind the ads (this is not uncommon)
    2: STANDARDS compliant 100% down to the 1.3.1 java it comes packaged with.
    3: internal email/news/messaging which is good because the email then allows you to open things at will w/o worrying about damned macro viruses or whatnot.
    4: mouse-gestures makes it worthwhile just by themselves. Want to open a new window? Hold down the right-mouse-button and go straight down with your mouse, release it, and you have a new window? Want to close it, hold down the right-mouse-button and go down/right, release. Done. There's many more but that's a start.
    5: It can be either individual windows like IE or you can have it run as MDIs in an SDI mode.

To me, it's worth it and Opera 7 is going to kick the crap out of IE/Netscape because of it's upcoming enhancements and fixes (mainly dynamic content will display properly and CSS is going to look tons better).

EDIT: hehe, yeah, AOL bought them out. AOL also owns Winamp too.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Wow, wonders never cease to amaze me. I had no idea Netscape was bought out by AOL. I downloaded Netscape 7, and hated it. I downloaded Opera and am giving it a whirl. Thanks everybody.

Vorlin > You missed the most important thing in Opera which other browsers does not have it.
    Yeah it has "refuse pop up windows" option , it's lovely, isn't it?

Cheers
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    - Albert Einstein

Yes, I have used the new phoenix to. It's still kinda buggy, but its already capable of functioning as a regular browser. It's also a lot faster then IE, although it leaves a huge memory stamp, about 25mb. If you have any problems with plugins (playing flash movies etc.) you can copy the IE plugin folder to the one of Phoenix, then it should work fine.

Greetz & Respect.

EDIT: You can download the new mozilla at the address below.
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/r...s/mozilla1.2a/
    Bleh.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Agreed, Unl3Ashed, "refuse popup windows" is nice, although I open them in the background because a lot of places use external popup javascript windows for things like logins/email/etc.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.